Introduction
Feb 29, 2024 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

emuff

New Head-Fier
My name is Ed and I am new to the forum. Long time fan of all things audio. Recently built a new headphone amp and I am putting it (and myself) through its paces with a handful of entry level headphones. Found this site and figured I should engage and learn a thing or two more along my journey!

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Open back, closed back, planar magnetic….wanted to get a cross section on a budget! Truth be told….they all sound good in their own way. For me it is about “the pursuit” and excitement of “the build”……amp project to amp project…..same with speakers!!!

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 15
You are right about all the stuff on YouTube. I am very frugal which is why I try building my own stuff but that’s not always cheap. For under $1000 you can get yourself into a VERY nice setup. What can of headphones do you have? I personally like “The Cheapaudio Man” (Randy) on YouTube. Lots of recommendations up and down the price points!

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 15
At the moment I have a pair of Hd600's and a handful of IEMs. I also plan on getting my first pair of planar magnetic headphones so I would need an amp that would work well with varying degrees of impedance and sensitivity. I have seen a video or two by The Cheapaudio man but I really never looked at his videos on amps so I will definitely check his channel out.

Thanks for taking time to recommend something I appreciate it Ed.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Even though I try and make my own stuff I would hesitate to look at Topping or Schitt Audio. There is another US company JDS Labs I would like to try. Reasonably priced , well reviewed. Good luck in your search!!

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 15
@HDGabe5636

Amp sellers will be happy to take as much as you're willing to pay but...

How about a two-digit amp? The VE Megatron is $56 shipped to the US and has plenty of power and clarity.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

There are reviews attached to the seller webpage and elsewhere online, including a Head-fi page.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/venture-electronics-megatron-dac-amp.962399/

It isn't fancy. It runs on USB power from a computer or phone (USB- or USB-C to USB-C), so it's portable (though not as portable as a little dongle). It doesn't have a volume control -- you control volume from your music player app -- and it doesn't have a built-in battery. But it's both a DAC and an amp, and it runs my power-hungry 470-ohm ATH-R70X just fine. It has jacks for 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced, and 4.4mm balanced and will actually run 3 sets at once if you have those plugs.

Or if you want something analog with a volume control to plug in at your desktop, the Monolith Liquid Spark amp, once $99 or more, has weirdly dropped down to $32.50 on Ebay at the moment. Its output is 1/4 inch, so you'd need a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter for most current headphones, along with a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394965402017

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Even though I try and make my own stuff I would hesitate to look at Topping or Schitt Audio. There is another US company JDS Labs I would like to try. Reasonably priced , well reviewed. Good luck in your search!!
In my post in meant to say I WOULD NOT hesitate to buy those brands!!! Typo!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back