Introduction to IEMs
Feb 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

somethingmetal

New Head-Fier
Hey all, just thought I'd start another one of those "suggestion for new IEM" threads, because well, I need some suggestions!

I'm new to the forums and this site in general, and boy, am I glad to have found this place! I never had friends that were quite as obsessed with sound quality as me, so it's nice to see so many people with a similar passion.

But I digress. What I'm asking here is suggestions for my first pair of IEMs. Yes, my first. I've looked around and read lots of threads that dealt with this, but I figured it would just be better to fill in my own details and let you guys help (if you'd all be so kind!)

Being my first pair, I'd like to spend under $100. I listen to a wide variety of music, from all kinds of rock, metal, trance, oldies, country and classical. I'd also use them for gaming/watching movies on my laptop. While not craving monster bass, I'd like a decent bass response for the price. Also, I’d go to the gym with them, so isolation is kind of important to me. Basically, I can’t really go about my day to day activities without musical/aural stimulation!

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 2
When I got my Etymotic ER-6i's it was a revelation. They can be had for ~$80 if you do some searching. For what you say you want out of an IEM they seem to fit the bill pretty spot-on. My only caveat is in relation to the fact that you plan to exercise with them in. If you're doing any sort of movement, even walking, with IEMs in you can get cable microphonics; you hear the cable moving around and brushing up against yourself, etc. I hope you end up with something you're really happy with and welcome to head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back