Introduction to dark classical vocals?
Jul 5, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 21
How about Preisner's "Requiem For My friend"? Very slow-paced, very sad and moving...

By the way, it's not really a "dark music" but I'm wondering if someone can recommend good "dark/gothic" sounding Gregorian chants recordings? (there is so many CDs...)

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 21
my favourite dark operas are Verdi's "Rigoletto" and Mozart's "Don Giovanni". Since you are looking for red meat I hope you can stand old recordings because one of the most powerful Rigoletto on record is from 1955: Gobbi/Callas/Di Stefano with La Scala/Serafin
B000002RY6.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

For Don Giovanni, given your preferences, I'll venture to recommend this controversial version
B00004U8FB.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

it is not at all a classic Don (like e.g. the Giulini one) but it brings out the tragic side of the story quite well (especially in the first part). The cast is really unusual: Siepi, Corena, Nilsson and Leontyne Price (in her first opera recording, apparently). The full 3 CD recording is hard to find and I don't recommend you fork out big $$$ to get it. If you can, borrow it at your local library (as I did) or get the Decca highlights CD.

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #18 of 21
Requiems are obviously your safest bet. Try Ligeti's!

Regards,

L.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos3
Thanks for all of your input everyone.

Any though thoughts on more "fierce" pieces. Checking these out, most are sad and dark. I'm looking more for angry and dark. 'O Fortuna' kind of has the savage flavour.

Anything leap to mind?

If you like Carmina, I recommend you get a "best of" collection from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 21
coming back to dark operas, I forgot what is IMO the greatest dark opera of all (and the best opera of "contemporary" music): Bartok "Bluebeard's Castle". Just to give you an idea of the subject matter here is how Judith (Bluebeard's love) describes the place:
Ev'rything lies deep in shadow.
The walls are sweating. Tell me Bluebeard -
Why this moisture on my fingers?
Walls and rafters, all are weeping.

mercifully (for your mood) it is only one hour long...

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
coming back to dark operas, I forgot what is IMO the greatest dark opera of all (and the best opera of "contemporary" music): Bartok "Bluebeard's Castle". Just to give you an idea of the subject matter here is how Judith (Bluebeard's love) describes the place:
Ev'rything lies deep in shadow.
The walls are sweating. Tell me Bluebeard -
Why this moisture on my fingers?
Walls and rafters, all are weeping.

mercifully (for your mood) it is only one hour long...

YES! I almost forgot. Creepy, dark, and fierce. Plot as bizarre as any horror movie. Sounds like it comes from another planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back