Introduction / Recommendations Please :)
Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sjr28

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

My name's Spencer, and I'm new here, though I've lurked every now and then for the past couple years.  I'm looking to get a new set of headphones - right now I still use the Sony MDR-V700's I got years and years ago.  I recently upgraded my desktop speakers to a set of Audioengine A5+ and they're phenomenal.  

For headphones, there are a couple things that matter to me:

-Comfort: I'm a college athlete and wear these pretty often on long bus/plane rides, so not having sore ears after an hour like I do with my V700's would be awesome.  On that note, over-the-ear would be preferable unless you know of a realllllly comfy on-ear set.  

-Closed: When I'm not using them on trips, I'm using them in the library or at work while I study/work.  I'd rather not get kicked out of the library for my sound bleeding all over the place.  

-Price: I'm not really looking to spend more than $200.  That being said, I have no problem waiting for a deal/discount on a more expensive pair.  

A couple things to note:

-I listen almost exclusively using Spotify.  When it's not Spotify, I'm usually just listening to mp3's.  So not the highest quality music out there.  My Audioengines knock normal quality mp3's out of the park, though, and I'm looking for something that can do that.

-I don't care about active noise cancellation, but I'd like something that will let me hear music over the hum of an airplane.  I've been using my earbuds on planes because my V700's can't really hack it on an airplane.  

-I listen to mostly alternative/indie, electronic, and hip hop.  Think like Alt-J, Arcade Fire, SBTRKT, Atmosphere, etc.  I'll listen to anything, though I generally don't do much classical music.  

-I currently get discounts at a few different stores due to my internship.  I'm not married to these brands by any means, but if it'll knock a great pair of cans into my price range, that'd be kickass:  Bowers & Wilkins (refurb discount), ACS (20%), BiGR Audio (40%), Harman Audio (20%), House of Marley (30%), Incase (50%), Klipsch (60%).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hi All,

My name's Spencer, and I'm new here, though I've lurked every now and then for the past couple years.  I'm looking to get a new set of headphones - right now I still use the Sony MDR-V700's I got years and years ago.  I recently upgraded my desktop speakers to a set of Audioengine A5+ and they're phenomenal.  

For headphones, there are a couple things that matter to me:

-Comfort: I'm a college athlete and wear these pretty often on long bus/plane rides, so not having sore ears after an hour like I do with my V700's would be awesome.  On that note, over-the-ear would be preferable unless you know of a realllllly comfy on-ear set.  

-Closed: When I'm not using them on trips, I'm using them in the library or at work while I study/work.  I'd rather not get kicked out of the library for my sound bleeding all over the place.  

-Price: I'm not really looking to spend more than $200.  That being said, I have no problem waiting for a deal/discount on a more expensive pair.  

A couple things to note:

-I listen almost exclusively using Spotify.  When it's not Spotify, I'm usually just listening to mp3's.  So not the highest quality music out there.  My Audioengines knock normal quality mp3's out of the park, though, and I'm looking for something that can do that.

-I don't care about active noise cancellation, but I'd like something that will let me hear music over the hum of an airplane.  I've been using my earbuds on planes because my V700's can't really hack it on an airplane.  

-I listen to mostly alternative/indie, electronic, and hip hop.  Think like Alt-J, Arcade Fire, SBTRKT, Atmosphere, etc.  I'll listen to anything, though I generally don't do much classical music.  

-I currently get discounts at a few different stores due to my internship.  I'm not married to these brands by any means, but if it'll knock a great pair of cans into my price range, that'd be kickass:  Bowers & Wilkins (refurb discount), ACS (20%), BiGR Audio (40%), Harman Audio (20%), House of Marley (30%), Incase (50%), Klipsch (60%).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text!

No headphones that I will recommend for your use in the brands you listed. Sorry. However, SRH840 is very good. I would also say DT1350(their price is decreasing) as they are the best portables I've heard, but they are not so comfortable. Look at my multi headphone review(on my signature). It might help you.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello!

If you like something fresh, I actually like th airy sound quality of the Incase Sonic. The comfort is on par with the Sennheiser HD598 but isolates ted more noise. I like how it sound although I can't recall how it sound (it was 1.5years ago since I try it at the Apple shop and that was before I can 100% describe the sound).

Otherwise, the Kplisch Image One, on-ear headphone, offer a very unique V-Shape headphone. Pretty wide soundstage. These are good for hip hop/rap/a bit of electronic.

Other than those brand you mentioned, I can easily recommend the HD439. It's good With the genre you mentioned. Pairing with an amp for these will tighten the bass, and more powerful sub-bass and overall sound clarity.

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Have you seen this thread? Great place to get some ideas of what portables are out there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Does the HD439 need an amp?  I don't have one and would rather not have to use one if it can be avoided.  I do like a decent amount of bass though.  I don't have much experience to go on, but for reference, yesterday I tried my dad's Sony MDR-1R's and those seemed a little light on the bass.  I tried both the Sonics and the Image One's and I liked the sound of the Klipsch cans better, but i only listened verrrry briefly.  Pretty much just the intro of a single song was all I had time for.

Kimvictor and cel4145, thanks for the thread links! I'm working my way through them.  The SRH840's look pretty awesome.  I noticed in your review that you said the 940's bass was a little light. I don't need earth-shattering bass that overpowers other elements, but I like it to be strong.  Will that be an issue or was it not a big deal?

Also, I just found out I can get a set of B&W P5's for $120, refurbished.  From what I've read on here, they aren't good headphones for $300.  But are they good headphones for $120?

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Does the HD439 need an amp?  I don't have one and would rather not have to use one if it can be avoided.  I do like a decent amount of bass though.  I don't have much experience to go on, but for reference, yesterday I tried my dad's Sony MDR-1R's and those seemed a little light on the bass.  I tried both the Sonics and the Image One's and I liked the sound of the Klipsch cans better, but i only listened verrrry briefly.  Pretty much just the intro of a single song was all I had time for.

Kimvictor and cel4145, thanks for the thread links! I'm working my way through them.  The SRH840's look pretty awesome.  I noticed in your review that you said the 940's bass was a little light. I don't need earth-shattering bass that overpowers other elements, but I like it to be strong.  Will that be an issue or was it not a big deal?

Also, I just found out I can get a set of B&W P5's for $120, refurbished.  From what I've read on here, they aren't good headphones for $300.  But are they good headphones for $120?

You do not need an amp for HD439... Not a must. If you find the 1R lacking in bass and prefer the Klipsch over the Sonic, you must love bass a lot :wink: not sure about the B&W. If you can find a refurb Sennheiser Momemtum, go for it as it provides you the bass that you wanted. More bass than 1R at least XD

Other than those headphones above, I find the UE6000 excellent for you [Sorry, forgot to mention yesterday XD ]. Similar sound signature as the Klipsch Image One but it's much more clearer, more detailed, better soundstage. However, the UE6k vocals sound artificial to me.

Hope this help!
Billson :D

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

940 has weak bass if you are not used to reference kind of sound. They will feel like they have 0 bass if you compare them to P5. If you want some strong bass, neither 940 or 840 would be for you. P5 would be a solid sounding headphone for $120. P5 is warm and smooth, so if you like strong bass, they are quiet good. However, they lack some serious imaging ability, and clarity. There is also awkward resonation in P5, which makes you feel like you are in a box. Nevertheless, for a mere $120, they are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back