Introduction - Howdy! -- IEM curious?!
Jul 27, 2013 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bemused

New Head-Fier
First -- Hi.
I've found some good tips on the forum and finally decided to join.   I think I might be developing an IEM habit (on a budget, of course).
I'll fill in profile details as soon as I'm able.  But my listening habits are broad and varied.
Everything from progressive metal to punk and IDM -- anything that I can code to (that means vocals are probably only in about 40% of what I listen to, maybe less).    

I'm totally open to reccommendations from others, if they feel like donating the words, but I've surfed the forum plenty and am trying a few pairs in the budget range.  So far, build quality has been the issue...

I've just returned my 3rd and final pair of Shure 215s (seriously tired of the build quality issues and cable splits... I did enjoy the sound quality, when they worked -- although none of the pairs I've received have been particularly well balanced; maybe its my ears)

I'm currently listening to VSonic GR07s but willing to move up a bit higher on the price point.

Anyhow, Hi everybody.  Great info around here.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 4
Jul 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 4
To be fair, my main problem with the 215s was the apparent manufacturing quality issue I seemed to keep running into.  After 2 pairs of 115s with cable splits, I moved up to the 215 thinking I'd get more durable cables, only to have a monitor go out twice AND the cable split on 1 pair.  Maybe just bad luck -- but I've been reading about similar problems from others.
This is totally for office use -- I'm at my desk coding and making things explode-- just need good music-- not jogging or moving about a lot (I have another pair for that) so I feel that my durability requirements are fairly low.

The Sennheiser ie8s are looking promising about now...  Also curious about the UE TripleFi -- plenty of cable compatibility there as long as the monitors are solid, it seems.

Thanks for the thread link; somehow I had yet to encounter that one.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Also curious about the UE TripleFi -- plenty of cable compatibility there as long as the monitors are solid, it seems.

At the current amazon price, the TF 10 the best option, since the newer UE900 has come out. Personally I like the TF10 waayyyy more than I like the UE900s, which had some sibliance in the higher ranges while the TF10's high's are about the best out there for IEMS. Also a fairly decent soundstage And I've tried a LOT (maybe 20+) IEM's. I was going to suggest the TF10 anyways but then I saw that in the quote.

The biggest complaint (which I dont mind) is that it can be a little too big for those with smaller ear canals (which makes it somewhat uncomfortable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back