Introduction + Help me chose a new piece
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheIconoclast12

New Head-Fier
Well I'll start with a basic introduction, my folks educated me enough to skip this part.
My name is Nik, I'm a 20 year old living in Israel. 
I found this site yesterday, when asked my friend who is a amatuer DJ if he can help me find a good on-ear headphones and he said that this is the ultimate place to find an answer, so here I am.

Before registration I checked the site, looked up on some threads and here are my thoughts so far:
1. Up to this day, I was thinking I'm as close as it possible to know everything there is to know about headphones. Right now, I just realize how dumb it is. Yeah my friend and the people around me doesn't understand anything about music and headphones, but owning a few Skullcandy's and Sony's aren't enough to think that I already know almost everything.
In short, I've just realized how much I didn't know about my hobby.

2. This place is not just a selling forum like I thought, It's a huge community that I'd try to become a part of it. Up till now I've never encountered anyone with whom I can share my hobby with.

3. I hope you guys will welcome me here, as knowledgeless as I might be 
gs1000.gif

So... Now for the second part, the thing that brought me here.
As I said, I live in Israel, and as anything else here, the headphones market is really shallow and everybody just use basicly the same gear.
Most of the people here think that Dr. Dre's Beats are the best headphones out there in the whole world, even though I tried way better stuff (Personally I don't like Beats, don't get offended by me)
So my father decided to make a trip to Canada, and asked me what I would want for a souvenire, so I replied "Headphones".
Up till now, I had the following pieces - Skullcandy's HUSH and HUSH 2 and the Skullcrashers, and currently I own Sony though I don't know the model and it's 3am here so I won't start digging the internet for the model. If I need to rate my enjoyment scale from those 4 pieces it would be - the HUSH as 1st(probably because they were the first I've tried) then the Sony as 2nd, the Skullcrashers as 3rd and finally the HUSH 2 in the 4th place.

Right now I'm searching for a new headphones, as my father in Canada can buy me another set and it will be much more cheaper than buying it here in Israel. 

I own a Smartphone - HTC One X, which is my main source of music, and a basic laptop (My phone gives better quality to the same songs than the laptop for some reason, prob. because the ****ty soundcard?)
I am always on the move, riding busses a lot (My job requires long distance travels by train and bus daily so that's pretty much the time I listen to music), so I guess I need a headphones for my phones and one's that can be used outside of the house.
I dislike, highly dislike, in-ear headphones, can't really explain why, just don't like them. So I need a suggestion for a piece of headphones On-Ear/Over-Ear(what's the difference if there is any?) that will be great for listing music while raiding in a train or a bus.

I've read some articles and I understand that it'll be better to summarize the following things:

Favourite kind of music - Mostly Psychedelic Trance and Some Dubstep and Metal,
Prefered price - around 100$~250$ (US one's as I sent my father 250 US $ for this porpuse)
Prefered style - On-Ear Headphones
Music source - HTC One X smartphone, no amp's and the such(I have no idea what those are)

P.S.
A friend recommended AKG K701, but a little research show'd me that it's more for Studio and DJ's than for music listening via HTC. But I really really really liked the idea that each side has 6 little speakers inside the headphones for a surround effect.
If there are any pieces that has the same effect and goes well with my needs, by all means - please give priority for those.

I hope you guys will help me, and the faster the better actually because my father is schedualed to come back in a week and I need to give him a few options to buy as fast as possible.

Thanks a lot!

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm a newcomer as well and couldn't believe how little I knew about headphones before as well.

Judging by your criteria, I would say a closed, over-ear headphone would be better, as it will isolate more effectively than an on-ear set. In this case, I would recommend the Sony MDR-1R. A good on-ear headphone would probably be the V-Moda M-80. Both are roughly $150-200. Good luck to you in finding the right headphones.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 15
I've looked for images of both just now, the Sony look a little like my current sony, but they seem bigger than mine. 
the V-Moda look beautiful *~*

Anyway, mind to explain what the Pro's and Con's of both of them? I mean, I've just realized how little I know about headphones, so the top I can do is check up they're info on google, which probably won't tell me that much.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 15
Hey, you are in good company. Most people around here don't like beats. I've heard most of the closed competitors leases than $350, so I'd recommend:
#1:ATH WS99- best closed headphone I've heard. Best bass ever.
#2: Sony MDR 1r or focal spirit one: both are great. Fs1 has veeery good bass.

I just know you'll love the ATH WS99.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 15
I've heard good things about the ATH M50's, priced right around $150 USD. Similar to the Sony MDR-1R I believe.

There are many great reviews in many different products here on Head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r

http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-80

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50s

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Hello!

Welcome to Head-Fi!!!! :D Sorry about your wallet xD haha

I will definitely second MDR-1R and in case WS99 is out of your price range, you might as well like to look into UE6000!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Wow the UE6000 Are beautiful as well, though aside of images couldn't find any usefull info on google, could you please describe them a little or post a link where I can get a bit more info on those?

Anyway, for now I trying to decide what to place on my want list as 1st:
ATH-WS99
V-Moda Crossfade M-80
Focal Spirit One

the other suggestions that were posted I still checking up on, but from what I've read on all the models above those 3 I liked the most. Any thought on this?

:))

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 15
ATH ws99 vs fs1: They're both dark sounding headphones, the fs1 has a large lower mids/upper bass hump, while the ws99's is more controlled. The ws99 has more bass while the fs1 is around neutral. Bass quality is about the same, but the ATH ws99 has more subbass. The main difference is the sound stage. The fs1's is veery intimate a closed in, while the ws99's is very wide. I prefer the ws99 usually, but the fs1 wins in details and intimacy, plus I think they look better, and they have better isolation.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Wow the UE6000 Are beautiful as well, though aside of images couldn't find any usefull info on google, could you please describe them a little or post a link where I can get a bit more info on those?

Anyway, for now I trying to decide what to place on my want list as 1st:

ATH-WS99

V-Moda Crossfade M-80

Focal Spirit One

the other suggestions that were posted I still checking up on, but from what I've read on all the models above those 3 I liked the most. Any thought on this?

:))

Hey!

The UE6000 have a slight v-shape sound in my opinion. Do check out the 2013 Summer Head-Fi Guide: http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-summer-buying-guide-over-ear-headphones

Hope it helps!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Ue6000s good, but not as good as the MDR 1r IMO, let alone the ws99.
Ws99 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650449/the-new-ws99-ws77-pg-57/0_50

But if you prefer more and deeper bass headphone, the UE6000 are better although with darker sound!

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 15
Actually, I do look for a heavy bass headphones, but not too much though... Let's say that balanced bass is 5/10 then I like the bass a bit above like 6/10 or 6.5/10... 

Anyway, I'll look up all those names given me, thank you guys very much. If anyone else has anything to add up, or clear up some of the terms being used here(stage? dark sound? higher/lower bass? etc..) I would be more than greatful to read it. Been here for less than a 24hour and already learnt a lot about music and equipment :))

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 15
Actually, I do look for a heavy bass headphones, but not too much though... Let's say that balanced bass is 5/10 then I like the bass a bit above like 6/10 or 6.5/10... 

Anyway, I'll look up all those names given me, thank you guys very much. If anyone else has anything to add up, or clear up some of the terms being used here(stage? dark sound? higher/lower bass? etc..) I would be more than greatful to read it. Been here for less than a 24hour and already learnt a lot about music and equipment :))

Dark sound means rolled off highs, Lower bass means sub-bass :)

To further understand the term, feel free to check out this post: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary learnt a lot of stuff here when I first joined Head-Fi as well XD

Thumbs up to Jude and his team for creating this excellent forum :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back