Introduction, help, and recommendations.
Feb 6, 2017 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vasthorizon

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!
I just recently stumbled into the forum.
I was hoping I can ask for your help as a newbie?

I recently purchased a FiiO X3ii and own Sennheiser HD598, HD598 closed back, and Shure SRH440.

I was wondering which amp you would recommend in the $100-$150 range?
Is it even worthwhile to get an amp for the X3ii?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 8
I would just plug the headphone straight into the X3.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you. I wanted to get an amp to even just increase the quality a bit.
I was hoping I would buy a FiiO E17K or an A3.
Would make a good stack? Which one would you prefer?

The E17K comes with a lot of features that can't be used with the X3.
So I say go for the FiiO A3 (E11K).

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Can the A3 or the E17K be used as a computer / USB DAC?
I don't mind springing for the E17K if it really is that much better or has more features that I would use.

The FiiO X3 Gen2 can already be used a a USB DAC/amp, with a computer.
I would also guess the X3 has a better DAC chip, then the E17K.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 8
I too am new here... in my learning that I had no clue what great gear was, I found this forum and website during my research. I have picked up a used pair of HD800s and will be looking to drive it with something sweet after I replenish my wallet. This forum and website have an amazing amount of info which I intend to read over the coming months, or until I get back to the lake fishing!

I don't mean to hijack, someone else's thread, but I also didn't want to ad more threads of this type to the din.

See you in the threads.

JT 

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 8
From a technical standpoint the X3 II already has amplification built in as well as an above-average DAC.

From a bare metal perspective the X3 II has the following chipset configuration:
OPA1642 (Low pass filter) -> OPA1642 (voltage amplification) -> LMH6643 (current amplification)
While the E17K has a very similar configuration:
OPA1622 (Low pass filter) -> OPA1642 (voltage amplification) -> LMH6643 (current amplification)

Of course, there's no way to tell the precise tuning of these parts but I doubt that FIIO would intentionally cripple the X3 II.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to do a side by side test to confirm or deny the difference in sound quality, but I hope this helps.

PS: For low impedance headphones like the ones you listed, you shouldn't really need an amp.
PPS: Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy your new DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back