Introduction and some some a request for some help with making an educated guess of a headphone purchase
Jun 22, 2015 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sphones19

New Head-Fier
I've been reading Head-Fi for several years now, and I've learned a lot from the community. I suppose it was time that I joined up and tried to contribute a bit. But then, here I am starting off by asking for advice. Hopefully I can offer something useful in return in good time.

For a long time, my main interest with respect to audio was in traditional two channel loudspeaker-based systems. For a number of reasons, a headphone-based system makes more sense in my life, and I've come to really enjoy the headphone listening experience.

I own some assorted headphones and iems, but the best ones that I own are a pair of Grado RS-1s that I got at a good price. After about six years of using them as my main headphones, I can say that they're really not what I'm after. I have decent amplification in the form of a Benchmark DAC 1 USB for home use and a Pico DAC/TTVJ Slim combo for portable use. I own a fair number of good quality recordings, both in Hi Res and 16/44.

It's not difficult to articulate, at least to a degree, what I'm after, but I have little opportunity to demo headphones. I don't live near a good dealer, and many of the phones that sound interesting to me are in practice difficult to demo at all, unless one can make it to CanJam (I can't, regrettably). Some help with making an educated guess would therefore be greatly appreciated. I may have to buy something sight unheard.

Although I like and listen to many kinds of music, my real interest is in classical music. There I listen to a number of genres, but I have a particular interest in polyphonic early music, a wide variety of baroque music, early to mid 20th century French music (Messiaen, Duruflé, Poulenc, etc), and contemporary classical music. Timbre, instrument separation, correct dynamics at different frequencies (and good full range reproduction), and enough of a sound stage to keep symphonic piece from becoming muddled are what I'm after. Obviously, I'm not going to get all of that. But, I'm able to spend up to $800 (not that I mind spending less) to get closer than I am now.

Open vs. closed isn't very important to me, although I might prefer a closed design all else being equal (I can't completely eliminate background noises). I've though that the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI might be a candidate, as might be the Mr Speakers Alpha Primo on its current sale price. I'm 100% open to other options, however – even to the idea of spending the money on iems if there were something that would work better. I own a pair of Etymotic HD5s, which I basically like, but which don't overwhelm me. I at one point owned Shure 500s, but although I could see that they had a number of virtues, they sounded a little artificial somehow to me.

Any thoughts would be very greatly appreciated. It's obviously a lot of money, and I'm likely to be taking something of a risk one way or another, so it may as well be an educated one.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 10
I have the Hope VI and am very happy, there's a good deal of air and finesse in them although they're closed! We sell quite a few and hardly anyone sends them back. The exception is the Hope IV which people bring back as they want to exchange for the VI after all!

The Shure SRH1540 may be worth looking into if you want another suggestion -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-srh1540-closed-back-studio-headphones.html

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 10
It's hard to beat Alpha Primes for under $800, Hifi Man HE-500's are really good, and 560's are supposed to be better though I've not heard them and they're a bit over your $800 budget. Fostex TH-600's are always a great choice and Alpha Dogs are also good. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 10
  I have the Hope VI and am very happy, there's a good deal of air and finesse in them although they're closed! We sell quite a few and hardly anyone sends them back. The exception is the Hope IV which people bring back as they want to exchange for the VI after all!

The Shure SRH1540 may be worth looking into if you want another suggestion -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-srh1540-closed-back-studio-headphones.html

That's good to hear; thanks. The Shure SRH1540 sounds like a good candidate, too, and they can be had at a pretty good price. Do you have any thoughts about them vs. the SRH 1840? I've started reading the long SRH 1540 review thread. Seems like most people enjoy both. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 10
My impressions of SRH1540 vs.1840 are a little dusty now as I tried them some months ago. However if the background noise where you are isn't likely to get in the way too much then the 1840 is likely the better option of the two. If I recall correctly they are fairly similar to each other so you may as well go open as your genres will likely benefit.

Your suggestion of the Hope VI got me thinking more of closed, so I went that way. Also I'll mention the forthcoming HE-400S from HiFiMAN. Although I haven't tried them yet I've heard very good things about them.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 10

Although I like and listen to many kinds of music, my real interest is in classical music. There I listen to a number of genres, but I have a particular interest in polyphonic early music, a wide variety of baroque music, early to mid 20th century French music (Messiaen, Duruflé, Poulenc, etc), and contemporary classical music. Timbre, instrument separation, correct dynamics at different frequencies (and good full range reproduction), and enough of a sound stage to keep symphonic piece from becoming muddled are what I'm after. Obviously, I'm not going to get all of that. But, I'm able to spend up to $800 (not that I mind spending less) to get closer than I am now.

Open vs. closed isn't very important to me, although I might prefer a closed design all else being equal (I can't completely eliminate background noises).
Any thoughts would be very greatly appreciated. It's obviously a lot of money, and I'm likely to be taking something of a risk one way or another, so it may as well be an educated one.

Hi there,

I too listen to a lot of classical music, but unlike you, I prefer open HPs. Simply more air and superior imaging, essential for classical music. My recommendation would be HE-560. I also use Audeze LCD-2.2 (non-fazor, 2012). But I really like the 560 for classical. Relatively neutral, Faster, more transparent without sounding overly analytical.

Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 10
  It's hard to beat Alpha Primes for under $800, Hifi Man HE-500's are really good, and 560's are supposed to be better though I've not heard them and they're a bit over your $800 budget. Fostex TH-600's are always a great choice and Alpha Dogs are also good. 

I could stretch to the 560s. It looks like they can be had for under $900. I'll look into those and the TH-600s, which are, if nothing else, rather nice looking. Thanks!

Hi there,

I too listen to a lot of classical music, but unlike you, I prefer open HPs. Simply more air and superior imaging, essential for classical music. My recommendation would be HE-560. I also use Audeze LCD-2.2 (non-fazor, 2012). But I really like the 560 for classical. Relatively neutral, Faster, more transparent without sounding overly analytical.

Hope this helps.

I'm not opposed to open. It sounds like another vote for the 560s. Thanks for this.

My impressions of SRH1540 vs.1840 are a little dusty now as I tried them some months ago. However if the background noise where you are isn't likely to get in the way too much then the 1840 is likely the better option of the two. If I recall correctly they are fairly similar to each other so you may as well go open as your genres will likely benefit.

Your suggestion of the Hope VI got me thinking more of closed, so I went that way. Also I'll mention the forthcoming HE-400S from HiFiMAN. Although I haven't tried them yet I've heard very good things about them.

I took a look and can't find much about the HE-400S. So far, I've found information on the HE-400 and the HE-400i. Thank you for the comments on the 1840s.

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 10
TH-600 is not neutral and truthful IMO.

I'll throw in a srs-2170 system, can be had for 600$ from pricejapan

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah but TH-600 has a super sweet and wide soundstage for a close backed headphone, probably the best there is under $600

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks to everyone who offered advice in this thread. In the end, I decided to buy an Oppo PM-2. There was a good deal on a refurbished set. I will write some impressions on the Oppo thread once I've collected by thoughts about its sound more carefully. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back