Introduction and Request for Recommendation
Apr 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

C00kies0fD00m

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

My name is Erik (aka C00kies0fD00m), and I just wanted to introduce myself and also ask for advice on a new set of cans im looking to purchase. 

First off let me give you a little info about my sound background, I originally got into music literally out of the womb. My aunt used to create mix tapes of classical music for me to listen to while I was in the crib, and when I got a little older my dad exposed my to classic rock. At around 6 years old I began to play the violin while living in England, when I was about 12 years old my uncle (who is a jazz trained drummer) got me playing music as a guitar\bass player and showed me alternative, jazz and techno music. As a result my current music library spans Classic Rock, Alternative, Metal, Techno, RnB, Rap, Classical and Opera genres. As a music player who is normally operating in the rhythm section my palette is tuned for the low end of the audio spectrum and the high range, with that being said I enjoy a nice balance in my music.

With all that in mind I need some help sorting through the mounds of over the ear cans that are around. I'm looking for a set of cans that can reproduce:

Bright crisp high tones
Dynamic booming bass tones
Clear (but not overemphasized) mid range
*I'd like an inline remote\mic for iPad\iPhone\iPod\Mac integration
**Between $0-$250 is my budget

I have owned Sony MDR-XB500's, which have excellent bass response, mid range was okay and the high end was lacking. The other set was the MDR-CD580's which the bass lacked, mid range was excellent, and the high end was crisp.

So Im looking for something in between those headphones sound reproduction wise, my primary music source would be my Macintosh or iDevices with MP3's, M4A's, AppleLossless and Flac files without an external amp.

Thanks for all your help!

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm are really good headphones that match your criteria but they need proper amplification to sound good, idevices won't be enough.

You should consider Shure SRH-840. This are closed back headphones that provide good isolation and don't need extra amplification to sound good. They come with extra pads and detachable cable. Their sound signature also meets your criteria pretty well.

Best Luck!

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks Me x3!

I love shure products and these look very promising, do you know if there is an accessory that includes an inline mic\remote sorta like "Shure CBL-M+-K Music Phone Accessory Cable for Shure SE315, SE425, SE535 Headphones"  but for the SRH-840? I really like the fact I can change songs on my Mac with the little remote and the mic for voice chats\calls.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 14
I think you should look into the ATH-M50X and Sennheiser HD 598. I have the original M50's, and they are great. They've got more on the bass than they do the treble, but the M50X is, from all I've heard, a straight-up improvement over the original. The 598 is the little brother to the 600 and 650. I don't have any personal experience with this model, but the 600's are fantastic, and the 598's should carry a lot of that quality.

Now I know I'm pushing it suggesting one pair of headphones that I have not tried, but if you can stretch your budget, it sounds like the NAD Viso HP50 might be an excellent match for you (and anyone can chime in to confirm or deny this). Again, at $300, you'll have to stretch a little more, but you'd be looking at one of the best sealed headphones out there, and it does include a remote for your iDevice functionality.

If nothing else, you have a few more models to try :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Forget the Shure SRH840. It's a competent pair of headphones but as a portable solution they're a non-starter. Apart from the fact that they'll fall off within 100 metres of leaving the house they also look ridiculous. I have them & can't even walk across the room without them teetering on my head.

The V-Moda M-100 fits the bill. Around-ear fit, closed back, compact, come supplied with two cables (although the remote cable only has the one button which I think may only be suitable for Android) and they have a very capable bass & treble registers (with some judicious EQ).

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 14
The V-Moda M-100 fits the bill. Around-ear fit, closed back, compact, come supplied with two cables (although the remote cable only has the one button which I think may only be suitable for Android) and they have a very capable bass & treble registers (with some judicious EQ).

+1

The M-100s seems a good fit for your musical tastes.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks Guys!

I had heard the V-Moda's were good cans but I just did not know to much about the company, they seemed like a upstart boutique operation with some hype (sorta like beats) but its good to hear that their products are good. Also the M-100's have a great array of accessories that fit the bill in terms of remote\mic functionality also thanks for the info on the Shure's I would like these headphones to hold up, the ear pieces on the sonys wore out 
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT770 (or DT990 if you want an open back). Both are V-Shaped. Meaning the low end and the treble are boosted. 

V-Moda M100's are also good and fit the sound you described. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 14

I had heard the V-Moda's were good cans but I just did not know to much about the company, they seemed like a upstart boutique operation with some hype (sorta like beats) but its good to hear that their products are good.

This is the reason I am hesitant to get into this pair. I understand that there is a lot of good feedback behind the m100s but the Beats-like factor somehow makes them unappealing to me, especially at the price point.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 14
This is the reason I am hesitant to get into this pair. I understand that there is a lot of good feedback behind the m100s but the Beats-like factor somehow makes them unappealing to me, especially at the price point.
How about this?

Now Tyll has reviewed Beats, as well as many other headphone models, but he still keeps this on the Wall of Fame. Said Wall includes Audeze LCD-2/3, Sennheiser HD600 & 800, and Stax SR-009 models. Sure, that's on the "full-size open" page, but I think it should illustrate the point that V-Moda isn't the same type of brand as Beats.

May 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey everybody, 

So based on the overwhelming support of the V-Moda m100's I went over to a local store to try them out and I must say I was a little underwhelmed by the overall experience. It seemed like the bass was well defined and had a thump, but the headphones as a whole sounded somewhat hollow. Maybe it was the setting I was in but I was not super impressed playing Nine inch Nails "Discipline" (which I argue is Trent's greatest mixed album "the slip") which has a great spectrum of Frequency responses. If I had to sum them up I would say they lacked warmth in the midtones and very sharp high's. Im looking into the Audio-Technica  Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 but im not confident in the ladders mid to high frequency reponse.

Does anyone have a pair of either of these that can sound off?

Or have another suggestion based on my experience with the V-Moda's?

Thanks Again for all the help everyone, its super cool to have this great resource.

May 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 14
  Hey everybody, 

So based on the overwhelming support of the V-Moda m100's I went over to a local store to try them out and I must say I was a little underwhelmed by the overall experience. It seemed like the bass was well defined and had a thump, but the headphones as a whole sounded somewhat hollow. Maybe it was the setting I was in but I was not super impressed playing Nine inch Nails "Discipline" (which I argue is Trent's greatest mixed album "the slip") which has a great spectrum of Frequency responses. If I had to sum them up I would say they lacked warmth in the midtones and very sharp high's. Im looking into the Audio-Technica  Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 but im not confident in the ladders mid to high frequency reponse.

Does anyone have a pair of either of these that can sound off?

Or have another suggestion based on my experience with the V-Moda's?

Thanks Again for all the help everyone, its super cool to have this great resource.

As someone said before, perhaps the HD 598's or the Momentum? The HD 598 definitely have some pleasant forward, realistic mids though there is a small peak in the treble, which may make it too peaky for you. On the other hand, the Momentum are pretty warm, from what I've heard and definitely aren't sharp in the highs.

However, I suggest you try the headphones out for yourself. After all, to you the HD 598's may be too sharp or not bright at all as it depends on you- you have a different taste in sound as we all do and you are the best judge of what you like.

Good luck!

May 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 14
  As someone said before, perhaps the HD 598's or the Momentum? The HD 598 definitely have some pleasant forward, realistic mids though there is a small peak in the treble, which may make it too peaky for you. On the other hand, the Momentum are pretty warm, from what I've heard and definitely aren't sharp in the highs.

However, I suggest you try the headphones out for yourself. After all, to you the HD 598's may be too sharp or not bright at all as it depends on you- you have a different taste in sound as we all do and you are the best judge of what you like.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Garraty, I keep using my old sony XB-500's (even though the earpieces pads are worn out) and I still love the sound profile except that the highs are not as defined as I would like. So I hope the HD598s are in a similar kind of sound profile, thats sort of the reason why the Audio-Technica's interest me but again Im a little inexperienced when it comes to the brand. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back