Introduction, and request for help with my desktop setup!
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vyre

New Head-Fier
Hello! The automated message asked me to introduce myself, so here I am.  I've been lurking for 2 years now, and have actually bought 2 headphones based on Head-Fi lore already.

My headphone journey started to get serious when I got some Turbine Golds as a gift when they first came out.  Wanting more, I bought the IE80s some time ago.  However, I never got enough comfort out of my IEMs to use them at home, and while I have decent computer speakers I missed the SQ from my Senns.  So, armed with a bit of birthday cash and knowledge, I bought a Fiio e17 and an HD598 to run FLACs and 320kbps mp3s from my laptop.

Now, I've only had this combo for a week, and the burn-in process has been a bit random to the point where I don't really know how many hours I've clocked.  I'd say 20 minimum, but very likely more- it's been about a week.  This is important because right now, I find that some highs in my setup feel harsh to the point where I have to lower the volume.  When I do this, however, vocals sound more distant and get buried by other instruments.  This is completely the opposite from what I've read on the HD598s, and it has me a bit worried.

Is this just because my gear need more burn-in?  Is it that the E17's DAC is harsh? Would this improve with an E09K?

I planned this setup as a stepping stone into getting a proper desktop DAC and amp, then get better cans.  Is this misguided?  I often think about buying an EF5 amp to make the HD598s warmer and less harsh, but it doesn't seem to be a common pairing (although I did read one comment that said HD598s pair great with hybrid amps).  It would also mean I'd have to keep using the E17's DAC, which to my knowledge could be the origin of what I'm trying to 'fix' in the first place.  I'm also considering getting a NuForce DAC, since there is no Schiit dealer in my country- but I'm not really sure if those are going to play well with the EF5 I'm looking at.  I'm adamant about that amp not only because it's available where I live, but also because from what I've read Hifiman planars seem like an upgrade path I'd enjoy, particularly the HE5LE+EF5 combo.

My musical taste is rooted in Metal, but I also like some electronica like Underworld and Daft Punk.  Progressive rock and metal are bread and butter genres for me, but I also enjoy David Bowie, Peter Gabriel and Bon Iver.

Sound signature wise, I look for a nice soundstage first.  I feel like vocals are where the magic happens in music (hence the HD598s), so congestion is my enemy.  Good details are always a big plus and they make me feel like I've made a good purchase.  Sibilance is something I'm not willing to compromise with, but bass is.  Trebles are definitely important, and the reason I have qualms with my gear right now.

That said, I'd love to give different sounding headphones a spin.  I like the styling on the V-MODA M-100s, and I'd like to own a closed, basshead can.  The HD650s seem really standard issue everywhere, so I'm looking at those, too.  I'll definitely end up owning something from the Grados line, since they're hailed like the best rock-oriented manufacturer.  I'd just like to have a bit more guidance on where to dig in, and hopefully enjoy my music even more than I do now- quibbles and all, my favorite activity is putting some luxury sedan on my ears and rocking out. 

I appreciate input of any kind (gear-related or not), and I hope to become a positive part of this community!

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 3
I can't imagine that an E09K would make much difference for you, and I wouldn't expect a better DAC to solve your problem, except you could get a little better clarity and detail. A tube amp might do the trick because of the warmer sound.

But perhaps the HD598s are just not a good match for you. I personally wouldn't buy a new amp to correct headphones that I was not satisfied with. I'd look at different headphones instead. :)

Have you looked into Grados? Excellent for metal and rock.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd never read about the HD598s having harsh highs, so maybe you're right and they just don't work for me.  It's good to know a DAC won't help me out, and now that you mention it... it does sound a bit bananas to spend $500 more for a headphone that cost me half of that.

I'll take your recommendations to heart and audition some Grados!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back