Introduction and opinions on op-amp for Cmoy
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TooManyDb

New Head-Fier
Hi fellas, new user from Spokane, WA

I've lurked here for a while gathering info on various products and DIY projects. I'm an electronics engineering student beginning my third quarter and have some experience with working with electronics, but admittedly a novice when it comes to designing audio stuff. I figured given this, building a Cmoy headphone amp would be a good place to start since it allows room to experiment with design, layout, and different op-amps. Plus it's inexpensive and with college, mortgage payments, and a 2 year-old daughter, I'm pretty much broke.

My phones are a pair of UE TripleFi 10s with Comply tips that've held up incredibly well after over two years of hard use (two deployments, countless TDYs and constant home use). The original cord that came with them is starting to separate at the connectors though, so I figure it's just a matter of time before the wires begin to fray and lose their connection. Since a replacement cord is now $50 thanks to Logitech buying out UE (total crock of BS) I heard that the FiiO RC-UE2 cord is not only less costly, but a fairly respectable upgrade in audio quality over the stock cord. So I've got one on the way that should hopefully be here within the week. For those of you that have used one with your TF10s, did you notice an obvious improvement in sound quality? Just curious how much (if much at all) improvement I can count on.

Concerning my Cmoy, I've been reading up on different op-amps and plan to order several so I can experiment around with them. Knowing that some can be touchier than others and how subjective sound preference can be among the different options out there. For those of you who've built a Cmoy and use it with IEMs, which op-amp do you prefer? I'm curious to get some opinions specific to IEMs since I know what sounds good through one style of headphone might not sound good through another. I do plan to get a pair of Audio Technica AD700s at some point fairly soon for home use (when the budget allows for it), but for now I'm sticking to my UEs.

Any advice or assistance you guys can lend would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back