Introduction and my recent purchase.
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dealth0072

New Head-Fier
Hey ya'll, I'm kind of new to the whole audiophile scene and I've been looking to step up my sound for quite some time now.

Not too long ago I built my first computer, budget gaming really, onboard audio, etc. After using Sennheiser HD428s for awhile on my old pre-built, the new onboard sound chips made me hear alot of crackling and distortion in places I wouldn't normally hear. I listen to ALOT of music and play many rhythm games as well.

My onboard audio started giving me trouble about a week ago where the back panel audio would produce a low tone constantly that would appear and disappear. The front panel works fine however, so I've been using that. It got so annoying and I really have been wanting to get into the scene for awhile so in the midst of all the black Friday bargains, I managed to nab an ASUS Xonar Essence ST for $150, and some AD-A700s for $100.

I got the Essence ST mainly because I would never have to worry about audio directly from my PC again, (I might get additional outside equipment), and for the built in amp. One of my biggest gripes with onboard audio is that at 100% volume on anything, I just want to go a teensy bit higher. 

Did I make a good decision? What should I expect coming from Onboard + HD428s to Essence ST + AD-A700's? Anything else I should know about the whole audiophile community?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back