Introduction and general comments on cd/mp3 players
Dec 19, 2001 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gusmahler

New Head-Fier
I am new to the forum and I thought I'd make some general comments about why I am here.

I listen to music all the time. I followed high-end audio for a while and have a decent system at home. I had never really considered a portable system before, but several things have happened that have made me reconsider.

* We have moved into a bigger house and have a new baby. Because of the size, I really can't listen to my system throughout the house. Plus, I often don't want to wake the baby with music. A portable system would help.

* We just joined a gym. I would like to listen to music of my choosing while I'm working out.

* My car CD player was stolen. I was considering getting a new system, but a portable might be even better if it solves the other two problems. It may be illegal in some jurisdictions to use headphones while driving, but I figure that, when the car had a CD player, I always turned it up anyway. I won't be any less safe using headphones.

With that in mind, I bought a Memorex portable CD/MP3 player. The reason I chose this format instead of an MP3 player is larger memory capacity than the solid state models and the abilty to play CDs without first encoding them. The hard drive models are tempting, but what happens when you drop a hard drive?

I really am not considering MD because I don't feel like converting all my CDs to MDs. MP3 format is for when I want to listen to all the albums by a particular artist without having to lug 6-7 CDs around. Burning MP3 CDs is really not a problem for me. The blanks are cheap and I already have the equipment.

The Memorex sucks. I will be returning it once I find a Rio Volt to try out. There is a lot of background noise and some distortion, even when playing straight CDs. The menu system for finding songs on an MP3 CD is stupid, also.

As for headphones, I used to have a pair of Grado 60. While I liked the sound (through my B&K preamp), they were uncomfortable (I am a glasses wearer) to wear for long periods of time. I eventually broke them by accidentally stepping on them. I currently use a $10 pair of Sony earbuds that were recommended at www.goodcans.com. Problem: no bass.

I am thus looking for headphones as well. I will probably be trying the Koss Portapro. I am not considering the Etymotic's because sound isolation and driving really don't mix. I have tried on Sennheiser phones (580 and 600) at a store and they seem to be comfortable. But it doesn't look like I would be able to work out with them on.

Sorry for the length of the post. If you have any comments on this, please respond.

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 14
if you're looking for good headphones to listen to while exercising, most of the koss line will be good like the portas, sportas, 35's, and 50's. The 50's might fall off too much through rigorous excercise though.

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 14
Welcome!!!

Quote:

I am thus looking for headphones as well. I will probably be trying the Koss Portapro. I am not considering the Etymotic's because sound isolation and driving really don't mix. I have tried on Sennheiser phones (580 and 600) at a store and they seem to be comfortable. But it doesn't look like I would be able to work out with them on.

IMO, the best "exercise" headphones on the planet are the Koss KSC-35. Comfortable, lightweight, great sound (one of my favorite <$100 phones), and they don't fall off when exercising. They are also almost half the price of the PortaPros.

Dec 19, 2001 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by gusmahler

The Memorex sucks. I will be returning it once I find a Rio Volt to try out. There is a lot of background noise and some distortion, even when playing straight CDs. The menu system for finding songs on an MP3 CD is stupid, also.

Sorry for the length of the post. If you have any comments on this, please respond.

I have the Rio Volt as well as the Porta Pros, and I think you will be happy with them. The Rio Volt is one of the best MP3/CD players currently available (I did a lot of research before I bought it) and the PortaPros are probably the best and most versatile headphones for under $50. You might try one of the inexpensive Sehhheiser earbuds (MX400 or MX500) in addition to the PortaPros, in some situations I like to have a smaller or more easily hideable alternative to something like the PortaPros.

-Keith

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by meithkiller

I have the Rio Volt as well as the Porta Pros, and I think you will be happy with them. The Rio Volt is one of the best MP3/CD players currently available (I did a lot of research before I bought it) and the PortaPros are probably the best and most versatile headphones for under $50. You might try one of the inexpensive Sehhheiser earbuds (MX400 or MX500) in addition to the PortaPros, in some situations I like to have a smaller or more easily hideable alternative to something like the PortaPros.

-Keith

Thanks for your recommendation. I just got the Rio Volt SP90 (I don't listen to radio, so I didn't get the 250). I am fairly satisfied so far. Much less noise when playing pressed audio CDs and the MP3 playback seems to be just as clear.

To clarify my feelings about the Memorex MPD8810, in listening more carefully, there is only noise when playing audio CDs. There is a great deal of distortion when playing MP3 CDs. In addition, the low battery indicator is already on, after less than 5 hours of play time.

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 14
my brother has the memorex mp3/cd .... when he open-it up theres was a Panasonic DSP chip... aint that mean its has Panasonic "sounds"?

btw, whats the difference between the 3 rio volts [sp90, sp100, sp250]/ AFAICT, sp90 have no accessories, sp100 [have a remote control], sp250 have a radio tuner.... do all rio volt have the same sound quaility?

Dec 19, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

the PortaPros are probably the best and most versatile headphones for under $50.

No, that would be the KSC-35 for $30
wink.gif

Seriously, it's just my opinion, but I prefer the KSC-35 to the PortaPros. They are lighter and more comfortable, so they are better for extended wearing. They also don't clamp as much, so their bass response is more balanced -- they have a bit better overall sound to me. Plus, I find their clip design to be much more stable for exercising.

That said, they are harder to find than the PortaPros (although HeadRoom has them). Given a choice between the KSC-50 and the PortaPros, I think the KSC-50 have a bit better sound, but they aren't as comfortable and they tend to fall off easily.

Dec 19, 2001 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Well, I got my PortaPros a couple of years ago for $30, and if I had to choose between them and my KSC-35's, I'd choose the PortaPros. They have the pressure adjuster-thingys to adjust the clamping force, and I find the KSC-35's to occasionally hurt my ears. The sound shouldn't be much different since they use the same drivers. I guess the fit of the two is just personal preference. The KSC-35's are better headphones for any kind of physical activity, but I personally believe that the PortaPros are more versatile.

-Keith

Dec 19, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 14
The SP90 has no firmware upgradability and no remote.

The SP100 is the SP90, plus firmware upgradability and a crappy remote. I don't think firmware upgradability is much of an issue any more, since the focus is now on the 250 and the upcoming 350. The LCD also has stupid dancer figures that are hardwired into it (same as SP90). Their movements don't seem to be related to the music in any meaningful way. The included carrying case sucks, because it doesn't let you see the LCD, and you need to disconnect your headphones to take the player out of it.

The SP250 has a nicer remote (standard one has no LCD though), better signal-to-noise ratio, much more powerful headphone amp, and a much more informative and cooler LCD screen. It also has a built-in NiMH battery recharger and a leather-like carrying case that lets you see the LCD and all the buttons.

I didn't think highly of the SP100 at all -- it doesn't feel like a professional product to me. The SP250 is much better.

Quote:

Originally posted by panoz777
btw, whats the difference between the 3 rio volts [sp90, sp100, sp250]/ AFAICT, sp90 have no accessories, sp100 [have a remote control], sp250 have a radio tuner.... do all rio volt have the same sound quaility?

Dec 20, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 14
KSC 35 is the best headphone ever!!!

Dec 20, 2001 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

The sound shouldn't be much different since they use the same drivers. I guess the fit of the two is just personal preference. The KSC-35's are better headphones for any kind of physical activity, but I personally believe that the PortaPros are more versatile.

You're right that the fit is probably personal preference. However, the sound isn't really the same -- because the Portas fit more tightly (even at the lightest "clamp"), they have more bass (anywhere from a little too much to waaaaay too much
smily_headphones1.gif
).

The funny thing is that I consider the KSC-35 to be more versatile, because of what you mentioned
wink.gif
They are great for exercising, but they can also be used anwhere the Portas can: travel, listening at home, you can wear them without messing up your hair (yes, we all have times when we have to worry about that LOL). In fact, I can't think of a situation where the Portas could be used that the KSC-35 couldn't.

A few people don't like the feel of "earclips." I can see those people not liking the KSC-35.

Dec 20, 2001 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by edog
The SP90 has no firmware upgradability and no remote.

[. . .]

The SP250 has a nicer remote (standard one has no LCD though), better signal-to-noise ratio, much more powerful headphone amp, and a much more informative and cooler LCD screen. It also has a built-in NiMH battery recharger and a leather-like carrying case that lets you see the LCD and all the buttons.

Thanks for the info. In looking at their website, it appears that the output of the 250 is 12 mW, as opposed to 7mW of the SP90. The difference in price is about $60. For $60, you get rechargeable batteries and charger (about $20 around here), carrying case (about $20) and a remote, as well as a better LCD and navigations system. Looks like I picked the wrong model. I'll have to return my Sp90 to get the 250. I hope the carrying case has a waist belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back