Introducing Whiplash Audio's Mini Millet Max!
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

SACD-Man

Formerly With Whiplash Audio
The Millett Hybrid MiniMAXed, or Millett MiniMAX, or MiniMAX for short, is a vacuum tube and discrete solid state hybrid headphone amplifier. It is the latest refinement in a series of headphone amplifiers that began with Pete Millett, its namesake. The Millett MiniMAX was designed by Colin Toole (cetoole) to incorporate many new features and advances previously unavailable, while still adhering to the famous Millett heritage. Two new outstanding features distinguish the MiniMAX from its predecessors:

1) A superior low-noise power supply. The standard configuration has been optimized for less than 0.040mVAC in the power supply, measured at V+ and Gnd, with the tubes burning and the buffers biased at 50ma each. This is outstandingly low noise performance for a linear regulated power supply. Moreover, this is all imbedded in the PCB design - only requiring a 24VAC walwart for complete power.
2) A custom-machined case from Lansing Enclosures, designed by Tom Blanchard (tomb). Based on their "DT1" case design, the MiniMAX is optimized for the smallest volume, width, and length practically possible with through-hole components and full-size extruded heat sinks.

Like its larger cousin, the MAX, the MiniMAX incorporates a full-size, BJT diamond buffer for the best in high frequency response and bass slam, combined with the tubes' natural midrange and liquid sound characteristics. This, of course, is fed from the low-voltage tube gain stage made famous by Pete Millett's original design and now augmented and refined with Colin Toole's Mini-MAX layout and low-noise power supply design. The low-noise power supply design creates tighter, cleaner bass, better high-end detail and greater transparency than previous MAX models.

For more information see the official MiniMax Website

Build Specifications:

Nichicon Muse ES boutique output capacitors (at CA7)
VitaminQ 0.18µF boutique output bypass capacitors (at CA8)
Nichicon Muse ES boutique cathode bypass capacitors (at CA2)
Wima MKP 10 film capacitors used in all amplifier film capacitor locations
Panasonic FM at all electrolytic power capacitor positions

2SA2344/2SA1011 BJT pair - set at 30mA class A bias
Transistors types matched within 2%

Alps RK27 ("Blue Velvet") potentiometer
Vishay resistors throughout, except R1 (heater voltage knockdown)
22R KOA/Kiwame output resistors

24VAC, 750mA wall plug power transformer (for 120V wall outlet)
AC input internally fused with 1A slow blow
Tube circuit and Discrete Buffer protected internally with a 0.5A Polyfuse.
Power supply set at 27VDC internally

Kilo machined aluminum volume knob
Neutrik silver plated 1/4" headphone jack
Gold plated, Teflon insulated RCA jacks

4 wire litz braid signal wiring using the new Whiplash Audio CFDCT-UP-OCC wire
22AWG silver plated copper power wiring.

Orange tube lights
Case mounted test points for tube bias

**One pair of 12FM6 tubes burned in for 12 hours and biased to 13.5V included

We highly recommend MiniMAX owners pick up an inexpensive multimeter and bourns trimpot tool for adjusting tube bias. These items as well as additional MiniMAX tubes are available at Beezar Audio

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 40
I am loving mine, Craig. It has about 20 hours on it now and it is sounding really good on my ED9's! I'm going to try it with some Senn's and Beyer's soon.

In any event, great amp!

Here is a quick shot of the orange glowing tubes (helped to glow by a LED)...cool!

Whiplash-audio_millet_dark.jpg

Peace,

Lee

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 40
Great Pics!!

Well matched with the ED'9s, Senns, hell I guess everything!!

Thanks for the photos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am loving mine, Craig. It has about 20 hours on it now and it is sounding really good on my ED9's! I'm going to try it with some Senn's and Beyer's soon.

In any event, great amp!

Here is a quick shot of the orange glowing tubes (helped to glow by a LED)...cool!

Whiplash-audio_millet_dark.jpg

Peace,

Lee

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 40
The price is $399

Comes with biased tubes, power supply!

Wonderful sounding especially for the price.
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look great, Craig!
Any idea on the price?

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Pics!!

Well matched with the ED'9s, Senns, hell I guess everything!!

Thanks for the photos.

Here you go, a couple more. The MMM has taken up residence on my bedside table.

Pictured below with the beautiful Whiplash Audio headphone stand, the fantastic Whilplash Audio iPod dock and three of my many sets of cans, re-cabled Beyer DT-990, re-cabled HD650 and my ED9's (soon to be re-cabled).

FYI--Flash used, so there are reflections and stuff.

Whiplash-audio_millet-2.jpg

Whiplash-audio_millet-3.jpg

Peace,

Lee

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 40
To answer a few questions I have been receiving, I will be carrying the Mini Millet by the end of this month.

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to make sure of a successful launch of the Mini Millet Max!!

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer a few questions I have been receiving, I will be carrying the Mini Millet by the end of this month.

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to make sure of a successful launch of the Mini Millet Max!!

FWIW--Mine has been on 24 hours a day since I received it and has been absolutely trouble free. It sounds great now with +300 hours on it

Peace,

Lee

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Later on, will there be a Millett MAX as well? And does it work on EU voltage? Thanks.

Hi There...

This is the Mini Millet Max!! Currently its not compatible with EU voltage. PM me if you are looking for detail on specs to use this amp in EU.

Thanks!
Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back