Introducing V-MODA REMIX - World's First Portable Heapdhone Amplifier + Bluetooth Speaker
Mar 29, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #16 of 33
The specs are a little lacking.  The Bluetooth version isn't listed (I'm assuming 4.1) along with what it's compatible with (AAC, aptX).  They weren't listed for the Crossfade Wireless either but were for the Metallo Wireless earbuds.  I also wonder how this sounds going up against speakers like the SoundLink Mini II, Beoplay A1, and even the UE Megaboom which is waterproof, lasts longer on a single charge, and can pair of up over 100 different UE Boom-type speakers while coming in at the same price (often less).

Don't forget, Vmoda has the best customer service around. I've never had a problem getting in touch with them, and they've solved every problem.. I doubt UE, B&O,etc would do that....plus Vmodas warranty programs are also second to none

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 33
Don't forget, Vmoda has the best customer service around. I've never had a problem getting in touch with them, and they've solved every problem.. I doubt UE, B&O,etc would do that....plus Vmodas warranty programs are also second to none

True, V-Moda's customer service is nice but that doesn't help when it comes to the actual speaker not being waterproof.  I would hate to pay $300 for a speaker, take it to the poolside or beach, splash some water on it, and deal with customer support only for them to tell me that it's user damage and they won't do anything.  At least for me, I would rather have a water resistant/proof speaker for that price.  Otherwise a stationary network connected speaker is something I want for at-home listening.

Aside from having a built-in amp, which seems like a rather niche feature, the speaker is pretty bare bones.  A 10 hour battery life is below average now, no water resistance/proofing, the Bluetooth range seems average at best, and there isn't a companion app for firmware updating.  Things would be different if this had launched 3-4 years ago.  I still haven't heard this speaker in-person but on paper (and based off of initial reviews), it seems like it is missing features that are more commonly found in other Bluetooth speakers that are either at the same price or cost less.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 33
True, V-Moda's customer service is nice but that doesn't help when it comes to the actual speaker not being waterproof.  I would hate to pay $300 for a speaker, take it to the poolside or beach, splash some water on it, and deal with customer support only for them to tell me that it's user damage and they won't do anything.  At least for me, I would rather have a water resistant/proof speaker for that price.  Otherwise a stationary network connected speaker is something I want for at-home listening.

Aside from having a built-in amp, which seems like a rather niche feature, the speaker is pretty bare bones.  A 10 hour battery life is below average now, no water resistance/proofing, the Bluetooth range seems average at best, and there isn't a companion app for firmware updating.  Things would be different if this had launched 3-4 years ago.  I still haven't heard this speaker in-person but on paper (and based off of initial reviews), it seems like it is missing features that are more commonly found in other Bluetooth speakers that are either at the same price or cost less.

But can you get a custom 3D-printed shell that costs $2400 for your "waterproof" speaker? I think not.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 33

You're right, waterproof, and a little better battery life would be better. I love Vmoda products, but they do seem to be that 1 step behind. I haven't heard it myself, so if the sound blows me away, I can forget all that other stuff for $300

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #20 of 33
You're right, waterproof, and a little better battery life would be better. I love Vmoda products, but they do seem to be that 1 step behind. I haven't heard it myself, so if the sound blows me away, I can forget all that other stuff for $300

It's not necessarily that they are a step behind, per se.  The Beats Pill+, Bose SoundLink Mini II (and even the SoundLink III), Sony h.ear go, and others have 10-hour battery lives and aren't water resistant either.  But they also don't come in at $300.  I just think that, if V-Moda was going to make a Bluetooth speaker for at-home listening, they should have added Wi-Fi and Spotify Connect/Google Cast compatibility.  Otherwise, UE and JBL have released quite a few Bluetooth speakers that not only have excellent ranges (UE has been using either overpowered standard or Class 1 Bluetooth chips for years now) but longer battery lives, more features (like being able to pair up), and you can take them out without worrying about water, sand, or dropping them.

The Remix seems like an interesting product and it's nice that V-Moda is stepping into the Bluetooth speaker market but I'm not sure if the average consumer is going to spend $300 on a speaker that they can't really take out with them just because it sounds better.  I also don't think someone who cares more about audio quality (not necessarily an audiophile) would buy it unless they knew what codecs the speaker supported (AAC, aptX, etc.).

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 33

It's not necessarily that they are a step behind, per se.  The Beats Pill+, Bose SoundLink Mini II (and even the SoundLink III), Sony h.ear go, and others have 10-hour battery lives and aren't water resistant either.  But they also don't come in at $300.  I just think that, if V-Moda was going to make a Bluetooth speaker for at-home listening, they should have added Wi-Fi and Spotify Connect/Google Cast compatibility.  Otherwise, UE and JBL have released quite a few Bluetooth speakers that not only have excellent ranges (UE has been using either overpowered standard or Class 1 Bluetooth chips for years now) but longer battery lives, more features (like being able to pair up), and you can take them out without worrying about water, sand, or dropping them.

The Remix seems like an interesting product and it's nice that V-Moda is stepping into the Bluetooth speaker market but I'm not sure if the average consumer is going to spend $300 on a speaker that they can't really take out with them just because it sounds better.  I also don't think someone who cares more about audio quality (not necessarily an audiophile) would buy it unless they knew what codecs the speaker supported (AAC, aptX, etc.).

wasn't it beats who got thoroughly criticized for not putting many specifics most people want on the boxes?... isn't that the mold v-moda set out to break in the first place?  hmm....  good points

edit: I love my v-moda products, very much so.. that just puzzles me is all

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #23 of 33
  wasn't it beats who got thoroughly criticized for not putting many specifics most people want on the boxes?... isn't that the mold v-moda set out to break in the first place?  hmm....  good points

edit: I love my v-moda products, very much so.. that just puzzles me is all

Whoops, I didn't see your response.  Beats was mainly criticized for not including speaker/headphone specifics like impedance, wattage, etc.  They used to list the codecs that their Bluetooth headphones used back when they were made by Monster but, ever since the Beats Studio 2.0 (when Beats made their own products), they stopped listing that.  Bose does the same thing, they don't list anything for their products.  But that's the point I was getting at.  V-Moda was releasing fashion-forward headphones with great performance while listing out their specs.  The Crossfade II Wireless come out and they're holding back a bit on listing some specs.  They're pretty much holding everything back with the specs for this speaker other than size and battery life.

Maybe they don't see a point in releasing all the specs anymore.  It's kind of a shame and one reason why I have always at least admired Sony with their headphones.  I may not be a fan of some of their models but they do list out all their specs including codec compatibility.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #27 of 33
I posted my review on Amazon after using my Remix for the past week or so...in a nutshell...awesome device.  Here's my review:

I've been using the Bose Soundlink Mini for the past two years...almost daily in my garage when I'm working out there. I wanted something that was better sounding and had a bit more volume. I thought about getting a Sonos system out there, but ultimately decided I wanted something smaller and more portable. Enter the Remix. The promise of higher quality sound and the built in amp to drive speakers/headphones was another positive.

To start...the fit and finish of the device is quite good. I ordered the Black Leather one, which may have been a mistake given it's going to be a garage based sound system. Lots of dust! But that's my own issue, not the speaker's. It's a bit bigger than the Soundlink Mini, but the sound goes significantly louder...which was my end goal, so I can deal with the bigger size. My one complaint about the physical design is that one of the torx screws on the bottom wasn't threaded all of the way in, which resulted in the device wobbling on the table. I found the right torx size and got it in properly and all was well. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

The sound quality is fantastic. The bass is by far the best part of this little device. It's shockingly clear and accurate...way moreso that the Soundlink Mini. It hits pretty hard and deep for something so small. If you stick the device in a corner or closer to a wall it actually shakes the desk/workbench. The mids and highs are equally as good...very good for male vocals (which is all I listen to really) and the highs are crisp and clear and they extend very well. Overall the sound is nice and balanced with a slight emphasis on the bass, like most V-MODA products. Of all of the mini portable BT speakers I've heard, the Remix is quite a bit better than the rest (I've had the Beats Pill, a Sony one and the Soundlink Mini so far).

One of the other great features is the built in VAMP (amplifier). I have a set of M-Audio AV40 powered speakers that I use in my backyard when we have parties/bbqs. Before I had to have my phone or ipad connected up to them. Now I just sit the Remix next to the speakers and I can connect whatever device I want via BT and it just plays perfectly! More sound than I'd ever need in my backyard. I'm sure the neighbors already hate me.

My one gripe w/ the device is the startup/pairing/shutdown sounds. WAY too loud. Borderline obnoxious. I wish there was a way to turn that off.

All that said, its a fantastic portable speaker that I recommend highly. I'm extremely picky when it comes to sound and functionality and the Remix ticks all of those boxes and then some. Features like the built in amp for headphones/speakers really is a game changer.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #28 of 33
I posted my review on Amazon after using my Remix for the past week or so...in a nutshell...awesome device.  Here's my review:

[COLOR=111111]I've been using the Bose Soundlink Mini for the past two years...almost daily in my garage when I'm working out there. I wanted something that was better sounding and had a bit more volume. I thought about getting a Sonos system out there, but ultimately decided I wanted something smaller and more portable. Enter the Remix. The promise of higher quality sound and the built in amp to drive speakers/headphones was another positive.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]To start...the fit and finish of the device is quite good. I ordered the Black Leather one, which may have been a mistake given it's going to be a garage based sound system. Lots of dust! But that's my own issue, not the speaker's. It's a bit bigger than the Soundlink Mini, but the sound goes significantly louder...which was my end goal, so I can deal with the bigger size. My one complaint about the physical design is that one of the torx screws on the bottom wasn't threaded all of the way in, which resulted in the device wobbling on the table. I found the right torx size and got it in properly and all was well. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]The sound quality is fantastic. The bass is by far the best part of this little device. It's shockingly clear and accurate...way moreso that the Soundlink Mini. It hits pretty hard and deep for something so small. If you stick the device in a corner or closer to a wall it actually shakes the desk/workbench. The mids and highs are equally as good...very good for male vocals (which is all I listen to really) and the highs are crisp and clear and they extend very well. Overall the sound is nice and balanced with a slight emphasis on the bass, like most V-MODA products. Of all of the mini portable BT speakers I've heard, the Remix is quite a bit better than the rest (I've had the Beats Pill, a Sony one and the Soundlink Mini so far).[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]One of the other great features is the built in VAMP (amplifier). I have a set of M-Audio AV40 powered speakers that I use in my backyard when we have parties/bbqs. Before I had to have my phone or ipad connected up to them. Now I just sit the Remix next to the speakers and I can connect whatever device I want via BT and it just plays perfectly! More sound than I'd ever need in my backyard. I'm sure the neighbors already hate me.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]My one gripe w/ the device is the startup/pairing/shutdown sounds. WAY too loud. Borderline obnoxious. I wish there was a way to turn that off.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]All that said, its a fantastic portable speaker that I recommend highly. I'm extremely picky when it comes to sound and functionality and the Remix ticks all of those boxes and then some. Features like the built in amp for headphones/speakers really is a game changer.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the detailed review. I've been using a Bose Soundlink 2 for the past several years. The sound quality was okay, but it never "wowed" me. I may have to look into replacing it with a V-moda Remix.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 33

But you didn't opt for to double the price for the fiber printed casing? How dare you! :) jk

Shame on me!  I am getting my thoughts together and I will post a review soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back