Introducing the STAX SRM-T8000 - Head-Fi TV
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #108 of 247
i would like to see something like the old SRM-T2 amp....

Never going to happen, for a number of reasons. First, many of the original transistors are no longer made, second, the design was very complicated and expensive, third, the mechanical design (8 tubes inside a relatively small box) made it thermally unreliable. Stax went bankrupt building it, so I don't think they are going to take a second whack at that design. Gilmore's version fixes the thermal problem by having the tubes outside the box, and much bigger heatsinks, but it is still very big, complex and expensive. If you figure the average hi-end amp sells for five times its part cost, the Gilmore version of the T2 would run in the same range as the Sennheiser HE-1, or more - and that's just for the amp without headphones or DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #109 of 247
Never going to happen, for a number of reasons. First, many of the original transistors are no longer made, second, the design was very complicated and expensive, third, the mechanical design (8 tubes inside a relatively small box) made it thermally unreliable. Stax went bankrupt building it, so I don't think they are going to take a second whack at that design. Gilmore's version fixes the thermal problem by having the tubes outside the box, and much bigger heatsinks, but it is still very big, complex and expensive. If you figure the average hi-end amp sells for five times its part cost, the Gilmore version of the T2 would run in the same range as the Sennheiser HE-1, or more - and that's just for the amp without headphones or DAC.

Kevin Gilmore T2 is an improved version through and through, the thermal issues is only one minor fix in the chain

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #111 of 247
Kevin Gilmore T2 is an improved version through and through, the thermal issues is only one minor fix in the chain

The PSU in the KG DIY T2 is a complete re-design. The Amp section (apart from the thermal improvements mentioned) is pretty much true to the original T2 circuit.

All true. Which makes it better, but even more complex and expensive.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #112 of 247
It isn't hard, but why would anyone want to do it though ? The stock cables is very well thought and engineered
For repairing purpose.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #113 of 247
It isn't hard, but why would anyone want to do it though ? The stock cables is very well thought and engineered

Agree, I've experimented with the 2.5/5m Stax extensions and can't tell they're there - except when the amp can't drive it. Putting a Sigma on a 5m is problematic for most Stax amps in my small experiments, for example.

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #115 of 247
Well, I spent at least a hour listening to the T8K yesterday in Akihabara. I will not claim to be a technical expert or even a Stax expert for that matter. Prior to coming to Japan I heard so much about them, how they were amazing and if you ever get the chance to buy a Stax product in Japan than do so. Upon arrival, I quickly went to the local store/stores had a listen. After listening to many of the products in all configurations I realized I was not overly impressed and could not justify the cost in purchasing a Stax unit. The current amplifiers appeared under powered and sound dry and sterile. Sorry, this is just my impression. For the record, I have not listened to any of the Stax products with any other amplifiers except Stax other than a brief listen too the SR-009 with the Woo Audio WES at the Newport Audio Show in 2015.

So, when I heard here Stax developed a new flagship amplifier the T8K, I knew I had to take audition. Fortunately i live here in Tokyo, so hopping on the train to Akihabara is not an inconvenience whatsoever. Anyway, here is my impression of the new T8K with the SR-L700, SR-007 & the flagship SR-009:

Even though I fought with background noise of the shoppers in the store, it really did not deter me from getting a good listen with all types of music genres utilizing a Luxman SACD as the source. I listened to the SR-009 first. The sound was extremely well balanced between the bass, mid and highs. One frequency did not overwhelm the other. The bass was tight, the mid neutral and musical and the high honestly little bright. Of course, this differed depending on the type of music. The sound had the tube warmth, but not dampened and SS output provided enough umff to tighten the bass. In the end, this amp was built for the SR-009 and if I chose to afford it than without a doubt this combination is the way to go.

Now, I did to choose to listen to the T8K with the SR-007 since the sales rep stated he felt the SR-007 was a better fit. After a good listen, i beg to differ. Sounded great, if one has the SR-007 in their possession than I would not keep you away from purchasing this amp. Although, I felt the sound shrunk and closed off in comparison to the SR-009. In other words, did not sound as dynamic and open. Honestly, I almost felt like the warmth went away. I have not read many reviews comparing the SR-007 and the SR-009, but this difference I heard may be expected. Let me stress, it definitely did not sound bad at all, but I would spend the extra dough for the flagship if I had the choice between the SR-007 and the SR-009. What is a extra couple hundred thousand yen if spending over 500,000 Yen on the T8K.

Now, let me contradict myself in stating "what is a extra couple hundred thousand yen" unless considering a HP which may IMHO closer to the sound of the SR-009. Again, I have not read any reviews comparing different Stax HPs, nor do I claim to be a Stax expert, but I thought the SR-L700 matched very well with the T8K. For a fraction of the cost of the SR-009, I could see myself pairing the SR-L700 with this amp. The warmth came back, the balance between frequencies were there, the bass less profound, but tight and the highs not so bright. The sales rep described the the SR-L700 as a forward sound or in his broken english as, " more in the forehead versus the back of the head". In the end, I will relinquish my previous comment and restate, if I chose not to spend the extra couple hundred thousand yen SINCE i am already spending 500,000 Yen than I would choose the very well matched SR-L700 with the T8K.

Ok, I have only spoke to the sound of the T8K when pairing with the different Stax models of headphones. Honestly, there is not much reason to digress or compare the T8K to other Stax amps. The T8K is on another level. The performance the T8K is able to provide to all the Stax headphones is above and beyond the current Stax amps on the market. Really no need to describe the idiosyncrasies between this amp and the others because the T8K beats IMHO the others in all categories. It drove all the headphones I auditioned with flawless ease. I only needed to raise the volume knob half way with the SR-009 despite all the background noise. I cannot say I could do the same with the other Stax amps. I will say the amp ran hot, but no more than the SRM-007t, but more surface area due to the larger size of the chassis. The size of the T8K is not large, the weight is not robust and the built is typical to Stax. The number of inputs are adequate for balanced and unbalanced choices. I can see where the bypass option would come in handy due to no remote. All in all, a huge improvement and well needed addition to the current Stax amp lineup.

The million dollar question (or 500,000 yen in may case for the T8K plus ear speaker choice) would I NOW purchase a Stax unit even though I chose not to before. Sigh........, I do not think so..... Even at 600,000 yen with the SR-L700, which I probably can get here in Tokyo, it does not justify the cost IMHO. I agree with many of you here in the forum, a 300,000 - 400,000 Yen price point is better for this amp. This amp is worth 2x the price of the other Stax amps, but not 3x. I did fall in the love the SR-L700 while pairing with the T8K and I may purchase these prior to leaving Japan, but I am not fully convinced I will be pairing it with the T8K. Again, I am not familiar with other brands of electrostatic amps and their cost. Perhaps in comparison with other amps from different brands to drive the SR-L700 will cost as much. I can imagine you all will let me know. I will close with this. I do not have much knowledge in the technicalities of this amp nor other amps, could not speak on "tube rolling" at all or even give you an analytical appraisal on this amp but only what I heard. But, in the end, don't we all only have one thing in common, the ability to judge on what we hear?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #116 of 247
Where were they selling the SRM-T8000 for and was it a production model? Any photos?

Well, I spent at a hour listening to the T8K yesterday in Akihabara. I will not claim to be a technical expert or even a Stax expert for that matter. Prior to coming to Japan I heard so much about them, how they were amazing and if you ever get the chance to buy a Stax product in Japan than do so. Upon arrival, I quickly went to the local store/stores had a listen. After listening to many of the products in all configurations I realized I was not overly impressed and could not justify the cost in purchasing a Stax unit. The current amplifiers appeared under powered and sound dry and sterile. Sorry, this is just my impression. For the record, I have not listened to any of the Stax products with any other amplifiers except Stax other than a brief listen too the SR-009 with the Woo Audio WES at the Newport Audio Show in 2015.

So, when I heard here Stax developed a new flagship amplifier the T8K, I knew I had to take audition. Fortunately i live here in Tokyo, so hopping the train to Akihabara is not an inconvenience whatsoever. Anyway, here is my impression of the new T8K with the SR-L700, SR-007 & the flagship SR-009:

Even though I fought with background noise of the shoppers in the store, it really did not deter me from getting a good listen with all types of music genres utilizing a Luxman SACD as the source. I listened to the SR-009 first. The sound was extremely well balanced between the bass, mid and highs. One frequency did not overwhelm the other. The bass was tight, the mid neutral and musical and the high honestly little bright. Of course, this differed depending on the type of music. The sound had the tube warmth, but not dampened and SS output provided enough umff to tighten the bass. In the end, this amp was built for the SR-009 and if I chose to afford it than without a doubt this combination is the way to go.

Now, I did to choose to listen to the T8K with the SR-007 since the sales rep stated he felt the SR-007 was a better fit. After a good listen, i beg to differ. Sounded great, if one has the SR-007 in their possession than I would not keep you away from purchasing this amp. Although, I felt the sound shrunk and closed off in comparison to the SR-009. In other words, did not sound as dynamic and open. Honestly, I almost felt like the warmth went away also. I have not read many reviews comparing the SR-007 and the SR-009, but this difference I heard may be the expected difference between the two HP. Did not sound bad at all, but I would spend the extra dough for the flagship if I had the choice between the SR-007 and the SR-009 when pairing with the T8K. What is a extra couple hundred thousand yen if spending over 500,000 Yen on the T8K.

Now, let me contradict myself in stating "what is a extra couple hundred thousand yen" unless considering a HP which may IMHO is closer to the sound of the SR-009. Again, I have not read any reviews comparing different Stax HPs, nor do I claim to be a Stax expert, but I thought the SR-L700 matched very well with the T8K. For a fraction of the cost of the SR-009, I could see myself pairing the SR-L700 with this amp. The warmth came back, the balance between frequencies were there, the bass less profound, but tight and the highs not so bright. The sales rep described the the SR-L700 as a forward sound or in his broken english as, " more in the forehead versus the back of the head". In the end, I will relinquish my previous comment and restate, if I chose not to spend the extra couple hundred thousand yen SINCE i am already spending 500,000 Yen than I would choose the very well matched SR-L700 with the T8K.

Ok, I have only spoken on the sound with the different Stax HPs and did not mention anything about the T8K. Honestly, there is not much reason to digress or compare "apples and oranges" to the other Stax amps. The T8K is on another level. The performance the T8K is able to provide to all the Stax Hp is above and beyond the current Stax amps on the market. Really no need to describe the idiosyncrasies between this amp and the others because the T8K beats IMHO the others in all categories. It drove all the HPs I auditioned with ease. I only needed to raise the volume knob half way with the SR-009 despite all the background noise. I cannot say I could do the same with the other Stax amps. I will say the amp ran hot, but no more than the SRM-007t, but more surface area due to the larger size of the chassis. The size of the T8K is not large, the weight is not robust and the built is typical to Stax. The number of inputs are adequate for balanced and unbalanced choices. I can see where the bypass option would come in handy due to no remote. All in all, a huge improvement and well needed addition to the current Stax amp lineup.

The million dollar question (or 500,000 yen in may case for the T8K plus ear speaker choice) would I NOW purchase a Stax unit even though I chose not to before. Sigh........, I do not think so..... Even at 600,000 yen with the SR-L700, which I probably can get here in Tokyo, it does not justify the cost IMHO. I agree with many of you here in the forum, a 300,000 - 400,000 Yen price point is better for this amp. This amp is worth 2x the price of the other Stax amps, but not 3x. I did fall in the love the SR-L700 while pairing with the T8K and I may purchase these prior to leaving Japan, but I am not fully convinced I will be pairing it with the T8K. Again, I am not familiar with other brands of electrostatic amps and their cost. Perhaps in comparison with other amps from different brands to drive the SR-L700 will cost as much. I can imagine you all will let me know. I will close with this. I do not have much knowledge in the technicalities of this amp nor other amps, could not speak on "tube rolling" at all or even give you an analytical appraisal on this amp but only what I heard. But, in the end, don't we all only have one thing in common, the ability to judge on what we hear?

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #117 of 247
Where were they selling the SRM-T8000 for and was it a production model? Any photos?

Dynamic Audio in Akihabara. I saw packaged 100v T8K ready to be purchased. I did not think about taking photos.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #119 of 247
Hopefully, my T8000 will likely arrive before Sept, I will compare with T2 and others then. If it's good, will write something here.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #120 of 247
Following my write up, I did some research on other electrostatic amps. Most of the amps recommended on the web sits around the same price point of the Stax T8K. Perhaps this was the rationale for Stax to pick this price point. Due to the size, the performance and the limited options on the market, I am seriously reconsidering this amp, hmmmmm. A friend of mine uses his Stax unit with a transformer, perhaps I will do the same. Now I sit pondering what to do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back