Introducing the HIFIMAN x GOLDENWAVE Prelude
Jul 27, 2023 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34
Introducing the HIFIMAN x GOLDENWAVE Prelude
Fully Balanced, Class A Topology Headline Best-in-Class Headphone Amp
2023.7.25 Prelude.jpg

Originally released by the GOLDENWAVE brand that was acquired by HIFIMAN earlier this year, the Prelude headphone amplifier, which is GOLDENWAVE’s reference headphone amplifier, boasts several features that make it an appealing option for audiophiles and music lovers seeking lifelike, full range sonics.

“Prelude is a perfect example of GOLDENWAVE’s approach to amplifier design,” says Dr. Fang Bian, “The reference Prelude, in particular, stands out as a performance leader at its price point.”

The Prelude is designed for personal audio and music fans who want a personal listening experience that rivals full-size, audiophile-grade in-room systems. The amplifier uses a fully balanced Class A MOSFET design that delivers high current output, providing clean and powerful sound reproduction.

The amplifier's circuit is fully discrete, meaning it uses individual components rather than integrated circuits. This approach can lead to better control over the audio signal and potentially improve sound quality. It includes a precise single-ended-to-balanced conversion circuit, allowing both single-ended RCA and balanced inputs to convey the benefits of fully balanced drive, which helps reduce noise and interference, enhancing the overall audio performance.

The Prelude’s preamplifier circuit is entirely independent, ensuring a strong driving force and producing a pleasing timbre in the audio output. In order to achieve balanced tone control, the amplifier uses an ALPS* quad balance potentiometer, known for its high quality and precision, to achieve a natural and balanced tone control. (*Designed and manufactured by Alps Electric Co. Ltd.)

Specially customized for Prelude, the high-power and low-noise toroidal transformer provides clean and stable power to all levels of the headphone amplifier, contributing to improved sound quality. The amplifier's housing is made from a single piece of aluminum, helping it to isolate harmful resonances that may degrade audio performance, ensuring cleaner sound output.

The Prelude’s frequency response is measured at 20-50KHz, +-1dB@1KHz. Headphone amplifier power output is 10W@32Ω, 6W@64Ω, 2.5W@150Ω, 1W@300Ω, 560mW@600Ω. It measures 330mm x 56mm x 260mm/12.99” x 2.2” x 10.2”, and weighs 6.5 kg/14.3 lbs.

Adds Dr. Bian: “The Prelude headphone amplifier is a precisely-designed, meticulously crafted device that is typical of the GOLDENWAVE design philosophy emphasizing audio quality, signal purity, and overall user experience. Audiophiles looking for a premium headphone amplifier will be satisfied with the quality and possibly surprised by its affordability.”

Prelude is available for ordering now at the MSRP of $2499, visit our official online shop or contact your local dealers to learn more details!

HIFIMAN Official Online Shop:
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/prelude.html
HIFIMAN Dealers:
https://hifiman.com/dealers

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 27, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 34
Jul 27, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 34
Checking the Goldenwave "GA-X Evolution" which appears to be a current product (not sure how it differs from the regular GA-X, if at all), the output specs are identical, and the enclosure is the same length/width. The Prelude has a slightly lower profile and correspondingly less weight.

Based on internal pics I can find, the Prelude looks very similar between the two devices. At least one of the PCBs is rotated 90 degrees, and Prelude doesn't seem to have the metal shielding covering the transformer like the GA-X does. Apart from that it's hard to tell without having higher res pics available (or seeing the units in person).

All this to say the two units may well be very similar internally, if not perfectly identical, though I certainly leave room for some upgrades/tweaks which could have been done. From a functionality standpoint the Prelude has the advantage of a 4.4mm balanced jack as well as RCA preamp outputs (the GA-X only has XLR, Prelude has both).

Goldenwave amps have always sounded good to me, hopefully the Prelude continues that tradition.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 34
Jul 27, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 34
Checking the Goldenwave "GA-X Evolution" which appears to be a current product (not sure how it differs from the regular GA-X, if at all), the output specs are identical, and the enclosure is the same length/width. The Prelude has a slightly lower profile and correspondingly less weight.

Based on internal pics I can find, the Prelude looks very similar between the two devices. At least one of the PCBs is rotated 90 degrees, and Prelude doesn't seem to have the metal shielding covering the transformer like the GA-X does. Apart from that it's hard to tell without having higher res pics available (or seeing the units in person).

All this to say the two units may well be very similar internally, if not perfectly identical, though I certainly leave room for some upgrades/tweaks which could have been done. From a functionality standpoint the Prelude has the advantage of a 4.4mm balanced jack as well as RCA preamp outputs (the GA-X only has XLR, Prelude has both).

Goldenwave amps have always sounded good to me, hopefully the Prelude continues that tradition.
I am quite enthused by this offering and look forward to hearing at Canjam.

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 34
This amp has huge potential, especially at its price point. Tons of power, balanced all the way through, and hopefully a great voicing which competes with the best SS amps out there. I have always wanted to hear the Golden Wave GA-X, so this is really exciting. Aoshida is the only website besides Shenzhen Audio that carries Goldenwave and it seems pretty hard to get with US IEC power. So, this is huge for a great design to be given a new life and a bigger chance for many of us to have as a choice.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 34
I bought Goldenwave GAX many years ago, they were supervisingly good with hekv2.
Looks like completely same specs and design

Hmmm

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 34
This amp has huge potential, especially at its price point. Tons of power, balanced all the way through, and hopefully a great voicing which competes with the best SS amps out there. I have always wanted to hear the Golden Wave GA-X, so this is really exciting. Aoshida is the only website besides Shenzhen Audio that carries Goldenwave and it seems pretty hard to get with US IEC power. So, this is huge for a great design to be given a new life and a bigger chance for many of us to have as a choice.

Before Bliss, GAX was my favorite SS amp from China. I tried it once in China and placed my 110v special order immediately.

I am really happy HFM acquired Goldenwave. They deserve more attentions. Now I am hoping a bigger company can buy Opera--A good tube amp manufacturer, and bring it to the US (and the rest of the world).

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 34
I have wanted a Goldenwave Amp for a long time but never went that route due to the voltage. I tried through Aoshida but they only sold 230v and I couldn't get anyone to discuss a US voltage. I agree on Hifiman acquiring...

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 34
Jul 28, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 34
The LinearQ looks amazing! 4x 2A3, 2x 5AR4, 2x 12BH7A and 2x 6922. Wow!

Sure does! Also their CD player/media player devices, with the cool wood panel on the enclosures, are really nice. Some models back in the day used tubes, not sure about the current batch though.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm also glad HiFiMAN acquired Goldenwave. Frankly I have always been lukewarm on the HFM in-house amp designs, and I think picking up a talented outside firm is a great idea for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back