Introducing my girlfriend to mid-fi
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I finally got my girlfriend to purchase her first pair of decent headphones, Sennheiser HD 228's. She has always listened to the apple ibuds or other cheap throwaway ear buds and she never really had any interest in better sounding headphones. I recently bought the Senn HD 238's, so I've been having her try them out and she ended up loving them and ordered the closed version (228's) last week. She's already thinking about getting a Fiio E5 just to give them the extra boost and wants to hear them on my Bravo amp when it comes in the mail. I'm thinking maybe I've created a monster, I know it's only an entry level headphone but it's a pretty drastic change from what she was listening to. Anyone else have any stories of how they gave their significant other the bug?

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 18
I didn't give my girlfriend the "bug" per se but she has no problems at all whatsoever listening to my gear when it comes in the mail. Even more important however is she has good taste in music, supports my decision to have a nice listening room in our future house, and doesn't get mad when I spend more on audio than I do on her.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 18
Your 1-year anniversary...

Her: "Oh my god, you got the pair I wanted! SE530s with custom tips from Fisher Hearing! I knew you got the tip when I was complaining about lack of bass impact and inaccurate mids!"

You: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, just open the box. Dibs after burn-in!"

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hung0702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1-year anniversary...

Her: "Oh my god, you got the pair I wanted! SE530s with custom tips from Fisher Hearing! I knew you got the tip when I was complaining about lack of bass impact and inaccurate mids!"

You: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, just open the box. Dibs after burn-in!"

Pictures or it isn't true!

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Girls I've dated = iBuds. Though I did buy one a pair of CX300s...

Wow, you must've really not liked her.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Girls I've dated = iBuds. Though I did buy one a pair of CX300s...

you were buddies? lol

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you must've really not liked her.

All she needed was isolation. And I didn't know much back then =0 (middle school...)

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures or it isn't true!

Haha, whoops. Check my edited post. Left out a crucial word at the beginning. Georgia girls don't really care about audio as long as it's low-quality country/modern hip-hop. And it HAS to be low-quality or else you'll hear "wow, I never knew the lyrics to Kanye West. I think he might actually be dumb."

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hung0702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, whoops. Check my edited post. Left out a crucial word at the beginning. Georgia girls don't really care about audio as long as it's low-quality country/modern hip-hop. And it HAS to be low-quality or else you'll hear "wow, I never knew the lyrics to Kanye West. I think he might actually be dumb."

Ah, now I see.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was going to say, "How the heck did you get her custom tips on the 'phones without her knowing about it?!"

atsmile.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, now I see.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was going to say, "How the heck did you get her custom tips on the 'phones without her knowing about it?!"

atsmile.gif

And you thought rohypnol only had one use!
regular_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 18
My girlfriend always has the most crappy earbuds imaginable. Her most expensive headphone is the Sennheiser HD202. Her latest was a no-name canalphone with exposed copper wire.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I bought myself the RE0 I gave her my Fischer Audio Evolution IEMs (which are REALLY decent) and I think she won't go back to cheapies after this one. She's been raving about how she can now hear all these new instruments and sounds in her Mount Eerie and Deathcab for Cutie tracks. She might catch on!

I do cringe every time she pulls them out of her ears by yanking the cable. Must be her reflexes.

HAHA I SAID YANKING THE CABLE! GET IT? GET IT? I DID A FUNNY!

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

HAHA I SAID YANKING THE CABLE! GET IT? GET IT? I DID A FUNNY!

YES. YES. YOU DID SAY YANKING THE CABLE.
No, I still dont get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back