Introducing HIFIMAN EF600--Desktop DAC/AMP Featuring HYMALAYA Pro Modules
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #182 of 282
I used the stock lightning to USB-C cable, that came with the iPhone. All I can say is that plug and play does not work. Maybe I have to play around with the settings somehow.
I’m afraid this cable is not valid for digital audio output. I would try the adapter and a stock USB-A to USB-C cable. In my case and with an USB-A to USB-B cable, I’m able to send HIRES audio from an iPhone 11 to a Topping D30 Pro DAC up to 24/96

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #183 of 282
I received the EF600 yesterday and I am putting it through its paces with both an Audivina and an Atrium Closed. Of course the R2R DAC needs a lot more burn-in before reporting on how it performs and that will be a couple of weeks out. The unit itself is perfectly sized and appears well made and easy to use. I didn't think I would like the "volume bar knob" but in practice I barely have to use it and it works fine for the small adjustments needed. The Audivina's sure do look pretty sitting on it :)

1689864934745.png

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #184 of 282
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #186 of 282
I received the ef600 two days ago.
It sounds good, but I think the volume knob is terrible. It has some slack when you reverse the rotation. Like a "big" pre-travel (2-3 degrees rotation) before acting on the volume.
Is yours like that too?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #187 of 282
It sounds good, but I think the volume knob is terrible. It has some slack when you reverse the rotation. Like a "big" pre-travel (2-3 degrees rotation) before acting on the volume.
Is yours like that too?
I don't need to move mine much so what you are experiencing I have not seen yet. I do think sometimes and I am not sure of this at all, but when I do increase the volume it seems to increase in the right ear first before it appears in the left ear. I might be imagining it - not sure yet. Need more testing...

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #188 of 282
Is yours like that too?
Hey, I noticed this for the first time after reading your post. The change in the amount of resistance is so slight between the travel and when the knob engages that it is barely noticeable on my amp. I wouldn't say that the knob is terrible, since I didn't notice it after months of use until looking for it. And it doesn't affect the sound quality or my enjoyment of this DAC/amp. I must say, I listen to this exclusively now when streaming from my computer despite having other, more expensive, options. I still think its a solid piece of kit.

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #189 of 282
Hifiman answer :

Dear customer,

Thank you for reaching out.

The usb-c is ok with android DAPs.

Please kindly note that an adapter is required to finish the connection.

Thank you for your interest and support in HIFIMAN.

Best regards,
Jo.

I don’t get it

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #190 of 282
Dear customer,

Sorry for getting the wrong meaning.

I consulted with our technical department about this issue, and the answer is that the USB-C interface can be used on Android DAPs.

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Seems all good

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #191 of 282
I don't need to move mine much so what you are experiencing I have not seen yet. I do think sometimes and I am not sure of this at all, but when I do increase the volume it seems to increase in the right ear first before it appears in the left ear. I might be imagining it - not sure yet. Need more testing...
Not sure about the ef600 but the ef400 was ever so slightly out of faze between right & left side according to some reviewers so maybe it is the same with the ef600. But it takes a very keen ear to here it.

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #192 of 282
Is yours like that too?
Yes, I have the same, and it’s more than 2-3 degrees. Annoying, but I can live with it.

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #193 of 282
Not sure about the ef600 but the ef400 was ever so slightly out of faze between right & left side according to some reviewers so maybe it is the same with the ef600. But it takes a very keen ear to here it.
My hearing is awful as I am an old dude, but I can still pick it up. Normal play without changing volume sounds balanced (centered in the brain so to speak). That quirk aside I really like the sound ccoming from this and I do like that it can hold the headphones as it works well in my secondary listening spot. Maybe the EF800 will be even better ! :)

I just did a quick test of turning my headphones around and wearing them backwards to see if the volume changed up on the other side (left side) - and it did :frowning2: So this channel shift is apparently real if not a minor issue. It seemed for a bit after this experiment that the right channel sounded predominant but I think that could be my brain because when I wore the headphones backwards again I did not notice the left side having a predominance. By the way wearing the Audivina backwards is not too bad :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #194 of 282
My hearing is awful as I am an old dude, but I can still pick it up. Normal play without changing volume sounds balanced (centered in the brain so to speak). That quirk aside I really like the sound ccoming from this and I do like that it can hold the headphones as it works well in my secondary listening spot. Maybe the EF800 will be even better ! :)

I just did a quick test of turning my headphones around and wearing them backwards to see if the volume changed up on the other side (left side) - and it did :frowning2: So this channel shift is apparently real if not a minor issue. It seemed for a bit after this experiment that the right channel sounded predominant but I think that could be my brain because when I wore the headphones backwards again I did not notice the left side having a predominance. By the way wearing the Audivina backwards is not too bad :)
You are noticing a channel imbalance? Have you tried fixing it from software side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back