Introducing HIFIMAN EF600--Desktop DAC/AMP Featuring HYMALAYA Pro Modules
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #123 of 263
Yeah, don't let the looks fool you. It's an incredibly capable DAC/amp.
It absolutely is. And it can make recordings that don’t rely too much on bass and sub bass, and aren’t too peaky, sound more than decent even on the Susvara.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #126 of 263
Wondering if anyone has tried this with high-ohm headphones like the HD 6X0 range or something from ZMF? Passion for Sound said it’s sibling, the EF 400, didn’t seem to drive those very well, and recommended not using it for that type of can IIRC. Would love to know if this model has better synergy .

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #127 of 263
Introducing HIFIMAN EF600 Desktop DAC/AMP
Features HYMALAYA Pro Modules for Audiophile-Grade Output
2023.2.23 EF600.jpg

Designed for use as a DAC, or independent headphone amplifier, the EF600 features an industrial design that is not only aesthetically appealing, it also serves as a headphone stand, reducing desktop clutter. Included are fully balanced input/output connections, high-resolution Bluetooth connectivity, an independent power supply and a thermal optimized tower case.
800x800pt2.jpg800x800pt1.jpg
“The EF600 has the power and advanced technology to stand out from a field that too often relies on off-the-shelf technologies instead of incorporating technologies that are truly unique to the category,” says Dr. Fang Bian, President and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “The Hymalaya Pro DAC module alone represents a giant leap forward from DACs that were considered state-of-the-art only a few short years ago.”

HIFIMAN’s Hymalaya Pro consists of an array of highly accurate resistors that use a “ladder” method of conversion. This approach converts the digital signal with maximum accuracy and overall musicality. Signal-to-noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, and energy consumption are at their musical and efficient best. Hymalaya Pro supports the common PCM signal transmitted by the most common IIS (Integrated Interface of Sound) audio interface, with a maximum 24Bit
resolution.

The EF600 includes two Hymalaya Pro modules for unsurpassed sonic output, especially when compared to the more commonplace PCM1704k module. The Hymalaya Pro, with the added support of a new algorithm and 0.01% precision resistors, reaches a THD (total harmonic distortion) rate of -60dB 0.2%. In plain English, distortion is reduced to a previously unheard of low with no audible distractions.

Bluetooth connectivity is achieved with an upgraded design that supports multiple codecs, including LDAC, delivering lossless sound reproduction for audiophile-level sonics. An array of RCA and XLR inputs allows the EF600 to be used as a high-performance headphone amplifier that is fully compatible with most CD and SACD players, thanks to its balanced output.

The EF600 requires the bare minimum of desktop or rack space. The physical dimensions are: 104mm/4” x 135mm/5 1/4” (top); 104mm/4” x 165mm/6 1/2” (bottom) ; 283mm/11”(height).
A new industrial design that serves as a headphone stand when the DAC/amp is not in use.

The front panel includes two outputs – 6.35mm single-ended and XLR four-pin balanced – in addition to a four-level function switch and volume control. The rear input panel includes jacks for RCA, USB-B, and USB-C source connectors, in addition to dual (L/R) XLR three-pin full balanced line outputs.

Signal-to-noise ratio is measured at 118dB (weighted), channel separation is 131+/-3dB, and
THD+N (line out) is 0.0014% (-8dB).

Maximum power output is robust at 5.12 wpc @32Ω balanced/1.8 wpc @32Ω unbalanced,
giving the EF600 the power to drive the majority of low-efficiency planar headphones, including
HIFIMAN Electronics’ flagship model, Susvara.

The EF600 DAC/amplifier will be available in March at a suggested retail price of $799.
Where to purchase:
HIFIMAN online store: http://store.hifiman.com/
HIFIMAN's authorized dealers: https://hifiman.com/dealers#

This is kinda neat looking. Reminds me of a skyscraper with a broadcasting antenna sited upon its roof.

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #128 of 263
@Godbluffer can I ask you , do you find the ef600 to provide a good sound and enough juice and dynamics to Susvara ?
I received the EF600 yesterday and had to try it immediately with my Susvara. I hadn't listened to the Susvara in a while so I started with my desktop setup of MacBook Pro -> Meitner MA3 -> @Dukei CFA3 amp. Susvara has a DHC balanced Chimera cable. As always, it was fantastic. Let my ears acclimate a bit then changed to MacBook Pro -> EF600 with same Susvara / cable. Used high gain NOS. The EF600 is really incredible, beautiful sound and more than enough power to fully drive the Susvara. I never had the volume above 50% maximum and I did listen loud for the trial. I actually bought the EF600 to use as a compact unit in my living room with closed headphones, not the Susvara. I tried my DCA Stealth and again a great sound with the EF600. Also tried Bluetooth from my AK SP2000 and it sounded excellent. This is a seriously good value.

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #130 of 263
Not sure if it’s the added burn-in time* or something else (my own brain? :smile:), but the High Gain NOS setting with USB input is now indiscernible for me from the Mojo 2 connected to the EF600 via XLR in High Gain, making the Mojo 2 redundant in combination with the EF600. So I’m just left with the EF600 in High Gain NOS mode, which - as a few others have been able to observe in the meantime - sounds pretty damn good with the Susvara.

*the added burn-in time appears to have tamed the somewhat too peaky highs it had in High Gain NOS mode in the earliest hours of testing the EF600.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #131 of 263
I promised a review of the EF600 in combination with the Arya stealth, but I noticed that I cannot reliability reproduce my observations between different songs and listening sessions.

That said, I feel that the EF600 fixes a slight problem that I had with my Arya stealth with both on-board sound and the ifi Zen DAC v2, that certain midrange frequencies seemed lacking to me, compared to my speaker towers or even Bluetooth in-ears (Sony 1000xm-4). Music still sounded great for the most part, but when watching movies or YouTube, voices sound somewhat thin and unrealistic. Also, I was disturbed by some shrill highs.

With the EF600 I am finally happy with my Aryas. I don’t think the frequency response noticeably changed, the EF600 seems neutral to me.
It’s rather that I feel I get more details or enjoyment at the same volume and this affects the whole frequency spectrum, especially the mids. Speaking of volume, I listen to music at 25% low gain and silent movies at 50% low gain, which shows how powerful the amp is.

Comparing NOS to OS, I have the impression that OS makes voices sound more distant (from the front) and separates them more from the instruments. For me OS sounds smoother and NOS more analytical; opposite of what I expected. I prefer OS mode.

Importantly I also tested the Bluetooth sound, which sounds simply perfect! I personally can’t distinguish it from USB mode. So useful, Bluetooth allows to simply play from mobile without turning on the PC.

Finally, the EF600 is a beautifully designed unit with perfect haptic and responsiveness. My unit came without any production flaws.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #132 of 263
Comparing NOS to OS, I have the impression that OS makes voices sound more distant (from the front) and separates them more from the instruments. For me OS sounds smoother and NOS more analytical; opposite of what I expected. I prefer OS mode.
I see what you mean when you say in OS mode voices sound more distant, and there’s more separation, but - at least with my Susvara - oddly enough the sound stage is not as deep or as big and lush as in NOS mode. In NOS mode the layering is also, to my ears, more refined and effortless, as is timbral accuracy/naturalness. OS by no means sounds bad to me, but NOS is easily my preferred mode. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #133 of 263
I see what you mean when you say in OS mode voices sound more distant, and there’s more separation, but - at least with my Susvara - oddly enough the sound stage is not as deep or as big and lush as in NOS mode. In NOS mode the layering is also, to my ears, more refined and effortless, as is timbral accuracy/naturalness. OS by no means sounds bad to me, but NOS is easily my preferred mode. :)
You earlier mentioned that you find OS mode brighter? A brighter sound is generally associated with spacious separation, which could be what caused my feeling.

How do you generally find the tonality of the EF600? Most reviewers described its predecessor (EF400) as particularly warm sounding. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good anchor point, as also my previous DAC/Amp is said to be warm sounding. So I would like to ask for your (and other’s opinion).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #134 of 263
You earlier mentioned that you find OS mode brighter? A brighter sound is generally associated with spacious separation, which could be what caused my feeling.

How do you generally find the tonality of the EF600? Most reviewers described its predecessor (EF400) as particularly warm sounding. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good anchor point, as also my previous DAC/Amp is said to be warm sounding. So I would like to ask for your (and other’s opinion).
As an owner of the ef400 i can say that is a pretty "bright" dac/amp...
At the point that (sometimes) become fatiguing with the arya stealth..
In OS mode tame the highs a bit, but he still a bright sounding dac.

Mr. Fang Bian in person describe the EF600 more warm compare to the EF400

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #135 of 263
Ef600 is definitely not bright sounding. However, it has a fantastic sense of space. I would call it maybe slightly warm. The bass is very controlled and hits hard with the HE1000 stealth. I prefer high gain NOS. There is gobs of power, I don’t think I’ve made it past 40% on the volume knob. It’s a seriously great combo, and the headphone stand is just icing on the cake.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is if the RCA out is volume controlled or not. “Preamp”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back