Introduce me to Jazz...
Dec 30, 2004 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I recently went to a jazz club with some friends for the first time. I had to be dragged because I didn't want to go. I had a fabulous time. I am all of a sudden wanting to listen to jazz. I know nothing about it and was wondering for some recommendations. Where would a beginner start? Any 5-10 albums that are essential to begin with Jazz? Thanks alot.

Gregg

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 44
You have asked about one of the most diverse and ever changing genres of music. Take a look and listen at the site below to get you started:

http://www.smithsonianjazz.org/class/jc_start.asp

This is a sampling of the music I grew up on. My father was a jazz enthusiast and he had hundreds of records from the early 40's to the 60's. Unfortunately the collection is gone but my memory of that music lives on.

Here is an interesting essay an Jazz from its earliest roots to the present day.

http://m.bobhuang.com/essays/jazz.htm

What type do you like and I would be happy to recommend some favorites. Of course I believe in working your way through the history.

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 44
Thanks for the articles. I will check them out. I really don't know what kind of Jazz I like. I guess I really need to hear many variations and then say I do or don't like this or that. I'm sure my question is a difficult one. I will start with the articles. Thanks.

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 44
Ella Fitzgerald sings the Cole Porter Songbook.

Miles Davis - hmm....Kind of Blue. But I really like 'Round About Midnight more.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out.

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz (joke! dont want to scare you away!)

John Coltrane - Giant Steps.

Personally I've never owned a Chet Baker CD, so sue me. BMG is sending me one as I speak.

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 44
I got Miles Davis - Bitches Brew in the Christmas CD gift exchange and it is awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 44
I'd suggest reading some of the essays on jazz on AMG. Check out the one entitled "Jazz Recordings: A Beginner's Guide" in particular.

AMG Jazz Essays

There are a couple dozen or more essays there that have loads of lists, recommendations, and info on jazz. Personally, I like Scott Yanow's writing. I agree with most of his reviews.

You might have to register to read them, or you can use the "BugMeNot" plugin for Firefox.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 44
I really love Herbie Hancock. Thrust is one of my favorite albums by him. He's a little more funky, and at times, experimental (this really shows in the album Head Hunters which is also a fav of mine). I find that a lot of Herbie's jazz is verry lively and exciting.... just plain fun.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 44
Jazz, this is ghart999.
ghart999, Jazz.

evil_smiley.gif

here's a little something from each important era/genre... a great way to begin to understand the evolution of jazz. by no means all the greats, just some of my favorites and true pioneers.

Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives/Hot Sevens -- any Columbia compilation
Django Reinhardt, Hot Club of France -- anything pre-WWII
John Coltrane -- A Love Supreme
Thelonious Monk -- Criss Cross
Charles Mingus -- Mingus Ah Um
Eric Dolphy -- Out to Lunch
Ornette Coleman -- The Shape of Jazz to Come
John Zorn/Masada -- Gimel, Bar Kokhba

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 44
I'd like to add:
some stuff by John coltrane - Crescent and Love Supreme
Pat Metheny - One Quite Night and Beyond the Missouri Sky. This is gentle, laid back solo guitar.
Charlie parker and charles mingus too.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 44
Watch the documentary, Jazz by Ken Burnz. You can get it from the local library, or buy it is worth it. That documentary is the best starting point to Jazz--IMO. Not only it gives you a context on what to listen to, but you also come to know about the musicians and therefore the music becomes more intimate.

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 44
I definately second Jahn's recommendation for "Time Out". Great Cd in all ways.

I suppose there are many different ways to start off in jazz depending your musical background and tastes. Some people, including myself, like to start off with a little bit more melodic jazz.

Following this direction, I would recommend Stan Getz and Joa Gilberto with the CD "Getz/Gilberto", which has smooth melodies paired with samba rhythm.

Another suggestion for a relatively melodic Cd is Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's "Beyond the Missouri Sky". Charlie Haden plays acoustic bass and Pat Metheny plays acoustic guitars. The songs are very spiritual, emotional, easy to listen to and, I dare say, without being superficial. This was also my first jazz Cd. (Edit: I didn't see that SunShip already recommend this CD. I'll just second his recommendation then)

Another great way to start into jazz is via vocal jazz. There are many great men and even greater ladies of jazz. Ella Fitzgerald is one example, although a little bit old-fashioned maybe. You could check out Diana Krall's "Live in Paris". It's a lot different from her more "commercial" Cds such as "The look of Love". Energetic and just a wonderful live performance. Another great ladies are Holly Cole and Cassandra Wilson. For Holly Cole, I would recommend "Don't Smoke in Bed" with the first song "I can see clearly now" being one of my favourite vocal songs. Cassandra Wilson's "Belly of the Sun" is a Cd, which, as the title already imples, makes you feel good. Her voice is very deep for a female singer but to quote critics: "She has a very wise voice".

If you liked the club atmosphere, maybe musical "energy" could be your ticket to jazz. If you are into piano: Try Keith Jarrett's "Köln Concert". It's a solo piano concert divided into 4 parts. The first and last parts are more lyrical compared to parts 2 and 3.
There are also a lot of great piano trios consisting of piano, bass and drums such as Bill Evans trio, Oscar Peterson Trio, Keith Jarrett Trio and many more. A lot of these trios start a song with its theme and start developing on it, which can eventually culminate in a musical climax. A jazz artist (whose name I can't remember right now) said that "good jazz is like good sex".
For trumpet, Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is always a hot pick although I prefer his "Birth of the Cool".
For sax, you should give John Coltrane a try. I found that Coltrane's "Lush Life" was the Cd, which most people without background in jazz could connect to the most easily (in Coltrane's repertoire that is).

Finally there's not definate way of how to start in jazz and it might be through the music you already like, be it hip hop, country, rnb, classic, electronic, etc. Starting with jazz classics might not always be the most ideal solution as sometimes, it's a lot easier to connect to a cd that is from the right time, which could be a cd that has been released just recently. For example, electronic pop has been quite chic here in Germany last summer and a friend of mine hence started his jazz journey with Bugge Wesseltoft's "Moving", which is a very modern, electronic and slightly melodic cd. Another example is Guru Jazzmatazz who has been successfully merging jazz with hiphop for a long time already. If you can tell us your musical preferences, that might help.

Finally, working your way through history as john_jcb suggested can be tiresome but also very rewarding in the end.

Here is another good site for information on jazz: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 44
Bah I have Lush Life on SACD Hybrid and I've never listened to it (came in a BMG Music freebie bundle) - time to break it out, thanks for the heads up Panda!

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 44
start with bebop. charlie parker, charles mingus, miles davis, thelonious monk, coltrane. look for recordings from the late 1950's (and earlier for charlie parker is good too). bebop is timeless.

another good one is chet baker -- chet. talk about cool. with an album cover like this how can you go wrong

chet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back