Intro, Suggestions for a AD900X / A990Z fan
Sep 13, 2020 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thomaslux

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Hope life is treating you well.

Posting because I'd love to access some wisdom here.

I've been into music and quality audio for quite some time and I'm generally happy with things as they are, but one area in which I can't seem to find much joy is headphones.

I've tested, borrowed and purchased a large number of mid-range headphones - from various Hifiman models, Sennheiser, Fostex, Beyer - the list goes on. I just haven't found anything that's really caught my ear.

It's never been a pressing issue because I have two pairs of headphones that I adore, both Audio-technica - the AD900x (music at my desk, gaming) and the A990z for when I need something closed-backed or perhaps want a touch of extra bass (not that it has much to begin with).

I'd love to find something else that fits my tastes - even with a little more bite in the low end - and I'd really welcome your suggestions. My budget is flexible but realistically I'm not going to spend more than $500.

Mostly I listen to indie rock, rock, punk and a little bit of ambient/chillhop, I'm listening through a Zen Can Amp / Zen DAC stack so can power most things.

Also happy to hear out of the box suggestions that I might not have considered.

Bonus round: I have a big (tall) head, so one of the reasons I love the AT cans is that they are light an fit my melon.

Good vibes to any of you reading this that are dealing with challenges because of COVID or, you know, life in general.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4
My Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphone were my preferred headphone for use with my PC.
Takstar HF 580 headphones and they would only cost you just over $200.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Sep 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 4
My Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphone were my preferred headphone for use with my PC.
Takstar HF 580 headphones and they would only cost you just over $200.

Hey, thanks for this suggestion, not on my radar at all, I will check it out!

https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.h...KVSfWfHUkiVfB1VyQb5xE0&utm_source=rflaid98220

May not be your "cup of tea" but at the current price I'd say they're definitely worth trying out. If you don't like them you're only out shipping costs. You can get free two day shipping by signing up for a trial with ShopRunner.

Ah, that looks nice - another great option, thank you for letting me know, that price is sharp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back