Intro, seeking advice...
Mar 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

swduncan

Head-Fier
Hi all,

My name is Steve, and I recently discovered this forum. I've been using a pair of Etymotic ER4s I got back in '98 or so, first with a Panasonic portable CD player, and later with my iPod Nano. Around 2000 I got an Airhead amp, which improved things quite a bit :wink:

On the Nano I play files ripped at 192kbps AAC. I used to go through the EAC/Lame routine, but I've found the convenience of iTunes hard to resist (that and I now use a Mac for iTunes). So far I don't feel I've paid any price in terms of pops or other transients. Musical interests include classical and older rock.

I'm looking to upgrade, but the question is what. I have about $300-400 to spend as a base, a bit extra from some ebaying of old gear.

I was considering upgrading the Airhead to a Headroom Micro, but after looking around here the Tomahawk and Hornet seem sexy. I do value Headroom's crossfeed feature, not sure whether I've got to have it though.

I was considering a move to full-size iPod so I could go strictly lossless for encoding, but on my current gear I'm finding it hard to hear the difference. I'm also finding the size of the Nano pretty attractive, and since I beat the crap out of it a long time ago, I don't have to worry about cases or scratches.

Lastly I was considering a move away from the Ety's to something else. I like IEM's. I suspect I would have to drop quite a bit to get a significant upgrade, but then again the Ety's are going on 10 years old.

My gut tells me the amp is my weakest link, and a new one might make a move up in encoding more audible, but I don't have any way to experiment.

Anyone care to offer an opinion?

There doesn't seem to be a forum for general questions, so please move this post as necessary.

Best Regards,

Steve

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesinc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all: why do you feel the need to upgrade?

Because this is head-fi!

Welcome to head-fi dude, sorry about your wallet!

Wherabouts are you in the world? In your situation I would reccomend trying to get down to a meet and hearing some stuff as much as possible. That's the only way you're really going to know what's what, and whether you'll be happy with the improvement.

Oh, and the Ray Samuels products ARE really sexy.

As far as upgrading your ety's, even though they are ten years old they are still regarded as right up there in the IEM world, and without serious investment you're unlikely to get something "better" quality, just a different sound signature.

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Bonesinc - Good question! There isn't actually any deficiency I can name that's making me unhappy, other than maybe the size of the Airhead amp. But that's very, very minor. Really, it's just me thinking that maybe, because of the age of everything I have, I'm missing something. That and it's always fun to research, discuss, agonize over, buy and then enjoy a new toy :wink:

stewtheking- I'm in Milwaukee, but won't be able to go to the main meet.

By the way, another possible weak link is the interconnect - I'm using the one that came with the Airhead.

Mar 12, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by swduncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, another possible weak link is the interconnect - I'm using the one that came with the Airhead.

Could be. And although I think that cables can make a difference, I doubt that it will change that much. I see interconnect-tweaks as the last step in an already fine sounding setup. But, that's just me.

Perhaps you should listen to some other headphones, if possible. You could always keep your ER4s for on the road and maybe some circumaural phones for home listening. I don't mind having something in my ears but I do prefer some very comfortable phones over my ears when at home.
I think the biggest change would be different phones. After that, a different amp maybe.

I did understand you original question. I almost knew you wanted to try something different out of shear curiosity. Nothing wrong with that. One can never predict what setup you end up with.

So, I would say, start with looking at/listening to different phones first. And maybe in the end you'll decide to stick to your ER4s after all. No problem with that. Then look for amps.

Happy exploring and I think you should start selling some stuff on eBay because once you start tinkering with your current setup there will always be that little voice in you head asking: what if?

Cheers and happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back