Intro by Niall a long time lurker
Mar 17, 2015 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Crazykiwi

New Head-Fier
Hi, my name is Niall.  I've lurked here for about year but would like to get more involved in the community.  I have a small collection of mid-range headphones and antiques including:

1. Pioneer SE-L25 (brilliant and unique under chin vintage design but poor sound)​
  2. 4AA (an old standard but not bad)
  3. ATH-70 (Electrete, speaker pass through, vintage, not bad but the charge may be going and I need to EQ lots of treble in)
  4. ATH-M50 (great but I find not good for low volume listening)
  5. K550 (Love the fairly balanced sound with excellent detail retrieval and amazing bass extent ion)
  6. 225i (very engaging to me a low levels, my hearing preservation headphone, great detail and clear upper frequencies)
  7. HD650 (Still learning to appreciate these, for me they are less detailed but do have a trade off with full sounding instruments with beautiful decay)

Amps:
  1. Matrix M-Stage (amp only)
  2. Vintage Marantz 2220
  3. Other vintage amps from Sony, Yamaha and Nikko
  4. Cambridge Azure 640A with tone control bypass, matching CD player
  5. Linux laptops and desktops running Linux>GNOME>Audacious>ASLA>DAC
  6. Fiio E17/18 used as dac's primarily with line out or for lower impedance headphones
  7. Source: FLAC 24/96, Rdio.com streaming 320Mp3, basic Dual turntable, Nexus 4 running VLC

I think of my self as a bit of a treble hound.  Perhaps I am missing some hearing in this range because I tend to enjoy headphones with a focus on treble extension and a bit forward.  I also love significant detail retrieval.

Music preferences:
  1. Jazz
  2. Blues
  3. Classical
  4. Electro
  5. Indie - rock/folk/country/eclectic (especially Canadian, support the arts from your country, it's important)
  6. Folk
  7. Select intellectual Hip-Hop
  8. Milestone recordings from classic rock, Exile on Main Street, Pet Sounds, White Light White Heat, Remain in light...

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, just curious how the little Dot 1+ drives the HD600's.  I was looking at it for the 650's but was told the power might not be enough.  Still considering it however as I think it could be good intro to tubes.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 7
It's a terrific pairing with the upgraded opamp and tubes.  I haven't tried it with the stock chip and tubes tho.  Plenty of power, I normally listen at 30-40% volume using the standard gain setting.  Great detail and bass response.  Excellent all around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back