Into better source search: Cowon S9 vs. Sony NWZ-A847
Jun 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GregVDS

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm searching a very good portable source. I need a lot of place (64Go would do :) ) and the best SQ possible. Battery time is also into consideration. Picture/video/game is surely not needed. At the mo, I use a Sony MDR-E818, which is not bad, but reminds me sadly my last MDR-E575 long time gone. I'm not too much into IEMs, and would like sometimes to use also big cans such as MDR-7065 or Grado 325i.

Now, I'm open also to other solutions, but it seems there are not so many. I wonder about entering MD world with a Sony MZ-RH1, but not really sure that would be wize.

My second question will be a conversion one. I have now a 58Gb iTunes database, partly MP3, partly Apple Lossless (anything from CDs, APE, OGG and so on are converted into WAV, imported, and then converted into M4A).

So what best format would you use on the Cowon S9, and on the Sony NWZ-A847, and how would you convert from M4A to these. A precision, which is not a small one, I'm under Mac OS X...

Thanks a lot,

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 19
First. You don't need a player to match your music library, it's impossible for me to lug around 3.5Tb worth of music. You will never be able to listen to all the music on the player or need all that music with any single charge. This means that you will still have to go back to your computer and charge it. Why not add more music to it while it charges?

Second. Apple are people who will not let go of their lossless, last time I checked. It was a bad decision to buy music from them. Sorry

Third. Get a Cowon S9 16gb black and make sure you get the firmware update, play with the eq and upload the J3 theme onto the player. 

I still find 16gbs to be too much on my Cowon, and I only have 10gb at the moment on it. I still get lost from all the bands on my S9 and find that all my favorite albums are on it, out of my 3.5TB of music.

Remember! YOU DON'T NEED MORE MEMORY

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 19
That's quite true, and a very good way to present it. Ok, 16Gb or 32Gb will do.
I incidently bought really few pieces of music through iTunes, to avoid the kind of blocking stuff. Now M4A is one of the conversion option at the import from CD. I just checked in my iTunes under Mac OS X, and if in the preferences I set the import format from CD as WAV, in the contextual menu over an Apple lossless piece, I have an option saying 'create a WAV version'. Hurray! It's possible to retro-convert all the M4A I have into WAV, to import that into whatever will be the winner of the contest.

Where can I have a glimpse of the J3 theme (and others)?

And is the SQ of the S9 better than the Sony A serie?

Thanks again,

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 19
This is the order of the brands in SQ:

Hifiman
Nationlite
Cowon
Sansa
Sony
Zune
Ipod
Then others

Hifiman are great, if you want to listen to one album at a time
The Nationlite are garbage but are built like an amp that plays music. Cases are bad. UI is horrible. Low battery life. Good EQ
Cowon is great as they innovate. Best part about them is the massive EQ settings. You customize the UI endlessly and the SQ is second to Hifiman. 
Sansa is great because any player has SQ equal to Cowon with some EQ. Rockbox, And overall the price
Sony, meh good SQ with some EQ. No customization for all I know. Pretty standard fare
Zune, meh again. Good SQ, but lack EQ and UI can use some work. Also down because of value and reliabilty
Ipod, cheap everything, need mac or itunes. Sub par SQ with some EQ. Rockbox and customs because of popularity. People get stuck with them and instead of buying something else, then add a amp and rockbox them.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54194
Is what I used to get the J3 theme on my S9.
There are a thousand guide of how to customize a S9 so just google anything. Also, make sure you copy the stock system of the Cowon S9 before you tamper with the software. It's just a good idea but I never had any issues. The newest firmware update improved the S9 speed to 95% of the J3. The J3's hardware is faster, jsut for the menu but with the update you won't notice a difference.

The Sq of:
Cowon     8.9/10
Sony       6.5/10

Don't get me wrong, I love Sony but then they didn't do too well with their players.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Why don't you check J3 instead of S9?It offers everything that S9 has plus the micro sd expansion.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 19
Can you comment further about J3 and S9? What differences, pros and cons of each?

Cowon takes micro-SD cards as memory extension?

Is it easy to change themes under Mac OS X?

Are they well built, solid, hard wearing?

Thanks a lot again,

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 19
J3 does have an expansion slot and you can add up to 32gb sd card.
Not cheapy made for sure.
It is a solid player which you will realise it from first sight..
It's UI is very customizable thanks to a guy called Kizune who has made the J3 seem like some kind of high tech mp3 player(which already is).
As for the hard wearing that you asked you can get a Ringke silicone case from Rearth and make it last for a lifetime...
http://www.rearthusa.com/Cowon-J3_p_175.html
Take a look at the links below for more info that will satisfy your ''quest for a good player''
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36211
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 19
The J3 is the same as the S9 except for these:

Expandable memory - I think I talked him out of more memory
New case - more flat, and buttons are in different positions on the outside
More expensive - for the same thing
Same internals - except one chip to smooth UI
5 more hours of battery life - I already forget to charge my S9, what is 5 more hours going to do for me?

The J3 for the same memory is $100 more then the S9
I just don't see the main difference behind it.

Cowon will still deliver UI updates
They still sell cases for the S9, I use a phone case
Same SQ
Same UI - and Optimus, Cowon made the S9 and J3 to be customized. No single man allowed it to be custom, Cowon allows it.

I had a choice over the J3 or S9 and chose the S9 because:
I didn't need more then 16gb of memory in my pocket, wasted if your thinking of expanding it
Already extremely high battery life
People find the J3's screen to try to come off. No idea if they fixed this
$100 less, I can buy another pair of headphones or a amp for my computer

While we are on the subject, Why don't you get the D3? It's got android and a whole lot of goodies. Or how about the C2?
I'm kidding, the S9 is all you need. Trust me on this. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
The J3 is the same as the S9 except for these:

Expandable memory - I think I talked him out of more memory
New case - more flat, and buttons are in different positions on the outside
More expensive - for the same thing
Same internals - except one chip to smooth UI
5 more hours of battery life - I already forget to charge my S9, what is 5 more hours going to do for me?

The J3 for the same memory is $100 more then the S9
I just don't see the main difference behind it.

Cowon will still deliver UI updates
They still sell cases for the S9, I use a phone case
Same SQ
Same UI - and Optimus, Cowon made the S9 and J3 to be customized. No single man allowed it to be custom, Cowon allows it.

I had a choice over the J3 or S9 and chose the S9 because:
I didn't need more then 16gb of memory in my pocket, wasted if your thinking of expanding it
Already extremely high battery life
People find the J3's screen to try to come off. No idea if they fixed this
$100 less, I can buy another pair of headphones or a amp for my computer

While we are on the subject, Why don't you get the D3? It's got android and a whole lot of goodies. Or how about the C2?
I'm kidding, the S9 is all you need. Trust me on this. 

O.k man i respect that you are a guy with low space needs.
But it all depends to what files you store and how many hours per day you listen to them.
Maybe for you 16gb are o.k but for people who listen to flac and 320kbps mp3's files,16gb are just an appetizer..
As for the 5 extra hours that for you is really not a big issue,bare in mind that 5 hours maybe one or two days of extra use for lets say someone who listens up to 3 hours per day...
If Greg doesn't like to change mp3 players often i strongly advise him to get a player with as much space as possible because he is definetely going to need it in the future..
As for your commend about Cowon letting it's products to be customized i will agree but if it wasn't for Kizune and his knowledge/contribute our Cowons would have been less fun.
Show some respect to the guy please..

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Hi,

Thanks for all the good infos. I'll check the S9 and J3 in the shop in Brussels here, and for 32Gb, price difference is 'only' 40€, so I think for all the advantages, I'll go for this one. And that's true that I prefer my music lossless or the less lossy possible, so that will take some place. I'll go and check the J3 more in details. 

Would a FiiO E7 or E11 be of some help soundwize (power surely yes, but quality too?).

Thanks again,

Greg

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for all the good infos. I'll check the S9 and J3 in the shop in Brussels here, and for 32Gb, price difference is 'only' 40€, so I think for all the advantages, I'll go for this one. And that's true that I prefer my music lossless or the less lossy possible, so that will take some place. I'll go and check the J3 more in details. 

Would a FiiO E7 or E11 be of some help soundwize (power surely yes, but quality too?).

Thanks again,

Greg

Amps are only needed for what headphones your pushing.
70% of fullsized headphones need a amp
10% of IEM or buds need a amp

If you get Grados, then you don't need a amp. I hear no difference at all
But if you get Sony, then you need a small amp

Get a pair of Grado Sr325i and never look back
Or if you feel like modding, and your good with electronics and cables, you can get a pair of Sr60i and recable them, new cups, headband and so on. See the sr60 mod thread.

But a pair of SR325i would suit you fine with just an S9, you don't need an amp.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 19
My m50's impedance is 38ohms and are driven more than adequate from both my Cowons..
I think that unless you use a 200ohm headphone you won't be needing an amp..
But mostly it depends on your headphones.
Some amps for example may boost the bass on some less bassy headphones or add some warmth/neutral tone to the sound.
But remember if you buy a Cowon player,at first start up set it to non-european region because otherwise it will output low sound.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Actually, I got a Grado SR-325i indeed, for some years now... I mainly use it to listen to my home made MMM, or Mcube, or alternatively my home made Millett Hybrid.

Basically, what I need to do when I first boot is to choose out of Europe, and that will do it for the volume limitation, right? Usually, shops and duties and countries do not do this or control this?

Thanks again,

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

Basically, what I need to do when I first boot is to choose out of Europe, and that will do it for the volume limitation, right?

Thanks again,

Yes that is right,you only set it at start up...

Quote:
J3 seems to be in back order for some time now here in Belgium. 
D3 could fit the bill too?

Thanks

Why don't you check it at ebay..
I got mine from a U.S seller and after 1 week it arrived to Greece..
Genuine and without any problems..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back