Interpretive 'dark' rock
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
The emotions induced by the music I call "interpretive rock" is a drug for me, and I've only breached the surface of what is out there.

I'm looking for bands in the vein of Tool, Alice in Chains and MAYBE Underoath or The Mars Volta. My search is for bands that sound very dark and emotional, clean/refined vocals are an absolute no-no. (as are death metal Chuck Schuldiner screams) The music has to be "interpretive" in some fashion, I really enjoy Tool's dual entendres.

Please help me, it seems that every band that I find is very, for lack of a better word, boring (everything sounds like that alice in chains ripoff band Godsmack). I'd like to experience the joy that I felt listening to the Parabol->Parabol climax for the first time again, even if it is such an elusive emotion. Or the barely contained power of Layne Staley's empowering croak in MAN IN THE BOX.

Any non-mainstream bands will be appreciated, I'm kind of a middle man. Nothing too hardcore or softcore, and nothing extremely slow or fast.

Music that I will absolutely REFUSE to listen to
very_evil_smiley.gif

Prog Metal - If I want to listen to some nerdy dragon tales stuff, I'll go to the next fisher price sale at toys r us.
DreamTheatre-esque music - Choirboys don't make me feel any passion
evil_smiley.gif

Other than that, I'm pretty open-minded, RECOMMEND SOMETHING !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Cult of Luna sounded very godsmackish, again
frown.gif

I gave Faith No More a try, and I abhor all the comparisons to Alice in Chains.
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure if Isis is in the same category, but idk its different enough that you might like it.

Yeah, you could always give post-rock a try. Also check out some new Neurosis, and Red Sparrowes.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 9
A few bands you might want to check out are:

Failure-especially Fantastic Planet, IMO by far their best album. Before they broke up Failure toured with Tool quite a bit and apparently were a favorite band of Maynards. A Perfect Circle did a cover of Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me". Don't judge them by that song though as APC changed the song up quite a bit and made it their own.

Lusk-Free Mars. This was a project of the original Tool bassist Paul D'Amour and the guys from Failure. A great album, I can't really describe it though.

Feersum Enjinn-s/t. Another project from Paul D'amour, so far there is only an ep out. Hopefully a full length will see the light of day soon.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Katatonia - 'Discouraged Ones'.
Not sure if it's what you're after, but give it a try.
Like Black Sabbath covering Robin Gibb numbers... like I say maybe not what you're after, but classic stuff!

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back