Interpol - Antics
Sep 29, 2004 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bln

Headphoneus Supremus
Interpol's new album Antics, the follow-up to their hit debut Turn On the Bright Lights, was released today in the US. Anyone pick it up? I've been listening to an mp3 copy of the album for several weeks now (thanks Zanth), and enjoyed it more and more each time. Received my copy today, spun it a few times; I think it's a great second album, definitely not a letdown from Bright Lights, which I also loved. The overall tone seemed more upbeat to me, not that the album's mood was at all light or cheerful -- it's still dark, gloomy Joy Div-- I mean Interpol -- just that it was less droning, and the songs were more varied. Any other thoughts?

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 22
sounds like a shrinkwrapped version of turn on the bright lights to me. kinda like what the strokes 2nd album was to their 1st. its like... more interpol, instead of new interpol. im a little let down..but it'll hold me over till they play here next month
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 22
Picked it up yesterday. I've listened through it a couple times. Next Exit and Slow Hands are great.

Not a let down versus Bright Lights, but somewhat different. Much brighter, less gritty (though the band said much of that effect is in the production, and that Bright Lights wasn't intended to be dark).

I personally prefer Bright Lights, but I like this album as well.

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric521
Picked it up yesterday. I've listened through it a couple times. Next Exit and Slow Hands are great.

Not a let down versus Bright Lights, but somewhat different. Much brighter, less gritty (though the band said much of that effect is in the production, and that Bright Lights wasn't intended to be dark).

I personally prefer Bright Lights, but I like this album as well.

Sounds like a "qualified" endorsement......I almost picked this up Tuesday at Best Buy for $9.99, like album one but not sure about this.

Best new album for month of 9/04 has to be new Datsuns release, no let down from debut. Must own for fans of Strokes, Vines (debut), Mooney Suzuki etc.

Oct 2, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 22
It's okay, not going to make my year-end top-of-the-X list, but it's a keeper.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 22
I am a long time fan of The Cure. I came to know of Interpol through a review that compared Interpol to The Cure and recommended "Bright Lights." I was disappointed with "Bright Lights." However, I liked it enough to buy "Antics." I like "Antics" much more. My favorite tracks are "Next Exit," "Evil," "Take You On A Cruise," and "Length of Love." I don't feel that 2004 was the greatest year for music, so "Antics" just might make my top ten list. Unfortunately, I don't think that Interpol at their best is on the same elevated level as The Cure.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 22
the more i listen to "antics" the more i like it. i remember hearing "take you on a cruise" on kexp.org, and it caught my ear. it's still my favorite track. the dark glamor of the music and lyrics is addicting. "not even jail" has strong slow emotional crescendos born out of driving minimalist playing. beautiful stuff.

check out their video for "evil". it's by charlie white, the photogrpaher who made the "understanding joshua" series (*shudder*).
http://extreme.colonelblimp.com/dire...pol_evil_L.mov
(right-click "save as" requires quicktime)
(thanks milkandcookies.com)

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 22
"Not Even Jail" is just a ridiculously good song. I still like this album a lot.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 22
holy thread resurrection, batman!
eek.gif

anyway, fwiw, i prefer bright lights to antics, but only marginally. while most of bright lights is imo above average, there are some stand out songs on antics while the rest are merely so-so.

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
holy thread resurrection, batman!
eek.gif

anyway, fwiw, i prefer bright lights to antics, but only marginally. while most of bright lights is imo above average, there are some stand out songs on antics while the rest are merely so-so.

Here's a re-resurrection of a thread!

I'm new to Interpol, and I recently picked up both Bright Lights and Antics (actually had Antics a couple of days before Bright Lights). Based on all the reviews (and a bit of hype
rolleyes.gif
) I expected that I would like Bright Lights better, but I actually like Antics slightly more. It somehow is more self-assured.

Can anybody suggest a new band similar to Interpol (in the neo-Joy Division tradition)?
cool.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Can anybody suggest a new band similar to Interpol (in the neo-Joy Division tradition)?

in my opinion none of them are as good as JD, so just listen to JD
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

cool.gif

Newer stuff kinda close:

Elefant
Stars

Old...i'd say The Chameleons.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

cool.gif

The National, especially the Cherry Tree EP, but also ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1613733

British Sea Power, especially the debut, but also ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143895

The debut this year from the Editors is a very good match with that Interpol sound. Good band, even if that sound is getting close to the saturation point for me right now. Some Echo & The Bunnymen mixed with all the rest of the now pretty common post punk new wave sludge. Kind of edgy and brash though, which is nice.

The last couple albums from Sixteen Horsepower (and also David Eugene Edwards side project Woven Hand) have a lot of the deep dark Joy Division charm. Check out Folklore. On their live album they even cover JD's Day of the Lords to great effect.

Calla put out one a couple years ago that I like a lot called Televise with a lot of Joy Division mixed with Brian Eno and maybe some Nick Cave. Very dark and brooding.

A few more come to mind, but those are some of my recent favorites.Of course, if you wanna go back a few years there's a bunch of great ones
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back