Internet Radio
Nov 25, 2003 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zin_Ramu

100+ Head-Fier
I've really been enjoying Internet Radio lately. Its a great way to experiment with new music and find music you otherwise might not have tried, all without having to plunk down the bucks to buy a CD. I assume most Head-Fi'ers are familair with the big sources of internet music, but I figured this thread might provide an opportunity to consolidate some info and present some new info. So here is my begining:

1) Shoutcast
Pros: 4,880 stations, many high kbps stations, works with almost all MP3 players, huge variety of musical types, many commericial free stations
Cons: Some stations don't provide song information, no track skipping
Favorites: radioio: Eclectic & Acoustic; SomaFM: indiepop rocks & Beat Blender

2) Live365
Pros: thousands of stations, all stations provide song information (which you can even scroll back a few songs)
Cons: you need to either download their player or have a seperate window open to get song information, there are ads for Live365 and the individual stations, you need to register, not as many high kbps stations, no track skipping
Premium Option: allows access to the MP3Pro streams which offer higher quality at lower bit rate, which could be useful for dial-up users who want high quality, avoid ads, about $4.00 a month
Favorites: Into the Mystic, Revolving Radio

3) Launchcast
Pros: you can skip tracks, sound quality is okay
Cons: less than 100 stations, mostly mainstream music, you listen through their player via a web page, there are ads for launchcast
Premium Option: also around $4.00/month, higher audio quality, more channels
Favorites: Adult Alternative, Alternative Rock

I'm also interested if anyone has any experience with Rhapsody. I've been thinking that would provide me the ultimate opportunity to listen to any music I want to try out before buying. I need to get some more info on it, but I'll probably try out the free trial and report back.

Zin

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 8
www.kexp.org out of Seattle streams their broadcast content. Its a good source for checking out indie/alternative music.

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Jan 7, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I really like the satellite music feed, especially the blues and the acoustic stations. Not that SERIUS stuff, but the CD music stations. Quiet backgrounds and pretty good dynamic range.

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 8
I aboslutely love internet radio. It's the best thing since sliced bread!
biggrin.gif
I use the internet radio in Windows Media Player 10.

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Another station for indie/alternative/modernrock is here:

http://www.woxy.com

It used to be an independent station based in Oxford, OH but has since turned Internet only when its spectrum was bought out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back