Internet Radio
Mar 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Catcher

100+ Head-Fier
I want to be able to use internet radio through my Hi-Fi without using the computer. I'm going to live in Australia soon and want to be able to listen to Radio 4 and 3 without connecting up the computer.

Is there any other way of doing this apart from a squeezebox?

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 5
I recently got a Philips Streamium np2500 and have been pleased with it. It's less expensive than the Squeezebox. There's also the Roku Soundbridge. Standalone wi-fi table radios can be connected to a receiver or amp, but the Streamium and Soundbridge are designed to do so.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 5
excellent, any idea if these have a digital out to connect to a DAC?

it does.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 5
You know I spent two days googling ways to access internet radio without coming across this, philips need to sort out their marketing strategy

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 5
It has both RCA and digital outs. I've only used the RCA, since I have it hooked up to an analog integrated amp rather than a DAC. It sounds very good through the amp, both for speakers and headphones. Philips advertises this "fullsound" feature which may mean that it has an onboard upsampling DAC, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Philips hardly markets these at all. I got mine through the Dell website, which was running a special. I'm not sure Dell still carries it, though. The current Amazon price is about fifty dollars more than I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back