Internet Piracy Survey (For Senior Thesis)
Sep 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SI51

New Head-Fier
Hello Head--Fi Members!

My Name is Michael Fitzgerald and I am a Senior in college majoring in Economics and Chinese. I am working on my senior thesis in Economics, and apart of the thesis we are required to analyze original data. So I bring you the "Internet Piracy Survey for Online Communities." So spread the info to everyone you know that takes part in online forums! I know that I haven't been a very active member of this forum, but I am occasionally observing around here. I would really appreciate your participation in this survey, it would help me out a great deal and you'll all get to see the final results in the end if you wish :) I hope to reach 200 respondents! 

If you could please fill it out as honestly and as complete as possible it would be most appreciated. It'll only take you 10 or so minutes to fill it out.

Here's the link to the form:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFFDdERGSUNMWnZtWEo3MEo3TGhJcmc6MQ"]https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFFDdERGSUNMWnZtWEo3MEo3TGhJcmc6MQ

Even if you don't fill it out, I sincerely thank you for the time you've taken to read my post, or even just open it and close. For all those that are interested, sometime in January I will post the results in graph form so you can all see how internet communities feel about internet piracy. 

If you experience the following error, please attempt to refresh the form.

Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested does not exist.

Please check the address and try again.

If you did, please note that the issue has been resolved.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Mike

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 13
popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 13
You will have some serious validity and reliability issues with the results of this survey since many respondents will be guessing.  You instrument construction needs work when you bridge questions, e.g., if yes, go to question X; if no, go to question y.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
You will have some serious validity and reliability issues with the results of this survey since many respondents will be guessing.  You instrument construction needs work when you bridge questions, e.g., if yes, go to question X; if no, go to question y.

Yea I guess alot, in fact  

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 13
survey seemed fine, glad i could help. I was terribly confused with the giving software to friends for a few days questions or if i'm only using it for a few days.  if i give it to them i expect them to use it....forever...hence why i gave it to them.  I'm less concerned with how long they are using it for then i am when confronted with the question of wether i should have pirated it in the first place.  same with myself, who goes through the effort of finding the file (uncorrupted) installing and then deleting a few days later? it's mine now lol i'm keeping it!

If you steal a Ferrari, but only so you can drive it for a few hours, does that make the crime any less?

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Some of the questions are loaded for some locations. In the Netherlands, for example, it is not illegal to download movies and music (it is illegal to download software). You can call it pirated music, but not illegally downloaded music.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Some of the questions are loaded for some locations. In the Netherlands, for example, it is not illegal to download movies and music (it is illegal to download software). You can call it pirated music, but not illegally downloaded music.

Yar there is also an web site called Legal Sounds  and I Believe it's Russian, so they sell us "Pirated" music for like .09 dents a song. But technically it's not illegally Download since laws are different there and we r payng for it here... 

But here in the United States piracy is a big scare, I pirate tons of music like the rest of the world, and you know what my Artsits are still making money because they are putting out Vinyls :/ [many of which I'd really like to have q.q] 

So there seems to still be alot of grey, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back