- Due to technical update we recommend you to
reactivate your account.

Click on the link below to login and begin using
your updated NatWest account.

To log into your account, please visit the NatWest Online Banking
https://www.nwolb.com/

If you have questions about your online statement,
please send us a Bank Mail or call us at
0846 600 2323 (outside the UK dial +44 247 686 2063).

We appreciate your business. It's truly our
pleasure to serve you.

NatWest Customer Care

This email is for notification only. To contact us,
please log into your account and send a Bank Mail.

several reasons why it's blatantly a fake.

1. The bank would know who i was, surely, so they would address me by name.
2a. the 0846 number they give doesn;t exist, in fact i think 0846 numbers dont exist at all.
2b. if you try dialling the exact number but with 0845 instead, it goes through to barclays bank customer services, not natwest,. nice research there.
3. online banks, in fact anything online which requires passwords never email you to ask for details.
4. the website that the email links to (even though they have used an https thing at the beginning, which is usually a secuirty measure, used by people like paypal) has the wrong date on it, it thinks it's sunday, not today.
5. the grammer in the email is pretty bad (i know mine isn't exactly great. but, mine doesn't have to be, i'm not trying to screw anyone out of any money.) it seems like its written in "engrish" or the grammatical patterns seem quite similar to those nigerian scan emails.
6. (and the most crucial reason i feel) I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH NATWEST OR BARCLAYS !!!!! ha ha ha ha

so i still dont get how people fall for these sorts of things, i know i'm not the most clever person in the world, but damn, how dumb must be the people who fall for these things?

the ironic thing is, i would have even seen it at all if i hadn't been checking my junk mail folder, cos i'm still training my spam filter, thunderbird junked it as soon as it came in.

i checked the headers on the email, and ascertained it originally came from this email adress: p810533k@delphi.com

and i sent them this email:

Quote:

SUBJECT: Nice try...

....with that whole natwest bank scam thing, but i dont even have an account with them you dumb ******! plus, there are several other glaringly obvious reason why the mail is fake.

just to let you know, i'm gonna make your email address public, and ask people on all the message boards i go to to sign you up for as many spam lists as possible.

hoping you get some sort of terminal illness and your limbs drop off,

katt

so yeah, if anyone wants to sign this person up for **** spam lists, hell i know i'm going to!!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Strange...

I just tried to log onto that website, to see how corny it is, and it must be set up to be pop-up sized or something, because avant browser just closes it off straight away...

...Unless the site has already [been] shut down?!

Dec 8, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Don't bother too much signing them up for lists. Not only would the Reply-To: header be fake, the actual account used to send the emails was very probably stolen or at best created for temporary use with a stolen credit card. The only way you could track them down is via the link given and that's probably a job for the police. Scams like this for eBay are common - people get an email like yours, then the scammers have plenty of accounts. They pick a few with good feedback and then use them to sell goods that don't exist or to buy items with forged cashier's cheques - the seller, seeing a cashier's cheque and seeing it accepted by their bank, is happy to ship the whatever-it-is to the scammer overnight - but the bank detects the forgery and returns the cheque after ten days, leaving the buyer with no recourse. The scammer can't be found because the delivery address was a MBE or other business offering a parcel acceptance service.

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 5
WHOIS information:

The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc
Waterhouse Square
138-142 Holborn
London
ec1n 2th
UK

Domain name: NWOLB.COM

Created on: 1999-08-13
Expires on: 2013-08-13

Administrative contact: