International Shipping Question (To those in the ConUS)
Jul 14, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jussei

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have a question about international shipping rates when shipping large/heavy items.
I have a Head-Fier interested in purchasing a large chunk of LPs from me. He is in Australia, I am in the US.
I did some research and I'm at a loss finding the most economic way of shipping a heavy package to the outback.
I've shipped plenty of items internationally, but nothing nearly this large. I figure some of you probably have experience with this so I'm looking for suggestions.
As far as what I've found:
If the package has a weight of around 50lbs, USPS can get it there for around $175-200 and UPS wants about $450 (
eek.gif
). There has to be a better way...

Thanks,
Jussei

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,

I have a question about international shipping rates when shipping large/heavy items.
I have a Head-Fier interested in purchasing a large chunk of LPs from me. He is in Australia, I am in the US.
I did some research and I'm at a loss finding the most economic way of shipping a heavy package to the outback.
I've shipped plenty of items internationally, but nothing nearly this large. I figure some of you probably have experience with this so I'm looking for suggestions.
As far as what I've found:
If the package has a weight of around 50lbs, USPS can get it there for around $175-200 and UPS wants about $450 (
eek.gif
). There has to be a better way...

Thanks,
Jussei

International shipping makes everything more complicated and expensive.

The cheapest option ought to be ground US Parcel service. The last time I used a private company to try to get a better rate for shipping something smaller than a pallette, they charged their standard charge and shipped by UPS ground.

Moral: the cheapest and best option might be US Post ground with receipt confirmation and insurance. 'Remember it's a 'gift'"

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cheapest option ought to be ground US Parcel service. The last time I used a private company to try to get a better rate for shipping something smaller than a pallette, they charged their standard charge and shipped by UPS ground.

Moral: the cheapest and best option might be US Post ground with receipt confirmation and insurance. 'Remember it's a 'gift'"

remember it's mail fraud as well
very_evil_smiley.gif
(i've done it as well, so...)

as limited as my experience with international shipping has been, i have also found that USPS is the most economical way to ship internationally. I recently had to ship a medium-sized box to Finland, and although I paid $25 for shipping via USPS, UPS/Fedex/DHL were asking upwards of $45.
50 lbs is definitely heavy, but you're fortunate it isn't any more than that. Once packages start hitting 100lbs, your options become really limited and extremely expensive (even domestic shipments)

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your responses. The problem that I seem to be running into is the fact that companies must be doing away with ground/economy shipping services. I couldnt find any 'economy' method to ship 50lbs with UPS, FedEx or USPS.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back