international dvd players?
Feb 21, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 6
The Arcam DV-88 can switch regions and PAL/NTSC output by opening the tray and pressing 1111 followed by a configuration selector number (1 through 18 or something) on the remote.

I've heard this also applies to other DVD players with a "Zoran" chipset but am not sure. Maybe avsforum.com could give you more information.

The DV-88 isn't the current model unit but it's a nice one and can be upgraded for a reasonable price to progressive scan. Check out your Arcam dealer... Pick up a CD-23 CD player while you're there :)

Feb 24, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 6
puck: International in the sense that (a) you can manitpulate the region codes, only - or would you (b) need an international power supply, too?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: We have quite a lot type-a-players over here, and there's also a lot of region- & macrovision-manipulation-mods for other players available here - because a lot of german video enthusiasts want be able to watch american dvds, too.

Feb 26, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 6
i want a region-code free player that will play both pal and ntsc disks (it doesn't have to be able to convert formats though, just play both) and that will play rea coded disks. i have found a lot of mod players on the net that fullfill these requirements, i was just wondering if anyone has used any of them and can give me any recomendations. power supply is unimportant for me. i can always get a converter.

cheers

Feb 26, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Mhm, I guess, that might be a helpful page for you: http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayershack.php

Generally, modded Pioneers are very popular over here at the moment, especially the DV-444. There are dealers that sell it pre-modded for a small plus of 30 Euro. But probably you'd be better off by selecting an appropriate and locally available model from the list above. For myself, I only have an old Yamakawa AVphile 715 - not a high quality unit, but more or less the first on the german market with remote hackable region code and macrovision. It was cheap, just does the job - and I rarely watch dvds, anyway. Nowadays, I'd probably chose the Pioneer DV-545 for a good balance of sound & video quality, features and compatibility (even with more exotic things like svcd...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, no players are sold that are "International" ... some are hackable with extra hardware installed, and some have codes you can enter. I would recommend the Malata for something that does good PAL - NTSC conversion and is region selectable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back