Internal ticking from new integrated amplifier
Nov 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aob9

New Head-Fier
I have contacted my dealer with regards to this issue and I am awaiting a response. I recently purchased an entry level Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 amplifier. It sounds great for the money but I notice a strange ticking sound from within the unit that doesn't transfer through the speakers. All I can say is it sounds like ticking watch on roughly one second intervals. When I power the unit up the ticking subsides but is still audible and it obviously stops when I unplug the unit. I'm not familiar with electronics but I have heard that capacitors can tick if there is arcing occurring on the board. My primary concern is one of safety as the amplifier works fine and I am tempted to continue to use it.  Has anyone any experience of this?

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 3
it can be the transformers, but as far as i know transformers buzz. i think it may just be the capacitors, and is probably not a problem.

also, wrong forum, this should be in the full size headphone amp or speaker forum.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
it can be the transformers, but as far as i know transformers buzz. i think it may just be the capacitors, and is probably not a problem.

also, wrong forum, this should be in the full size headphone amp or speaker forum.

Thanks for that. I thought I was in the right place when I saw other queries on amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back