Internal soundcard with extension for hd-555
Sep 17, 2004 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Guust-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Changed my mind:
I am buying new headphones (Sennheiser hd-555) and I would like to benefit as much as possible from their sound quality. (I will be using them a lot more than my speakers).
I will be using them for: Music > Gaming > Movies > TV
My budget is 350$. Soundcard requires a good headphone jack. I would like an internal card with an external extension, similar to the EMU 1820. I would also like to switch between my speakers and headphones instantly without having to unplug them al the time. I was considering the 1820 but I wasn’t sure about something: Do you need a surround soundcard to down mix surround sound signals to the headphone or 2.1 speakers – considering quality? My best guess is that you don’t need a surround card but the CPU will be stressed with all the work. I am using Power dvd to watch dvd movies and I always use the “Dolby headphone” feature. I would like to experience nice headphone surround during gaming too (doesn’t have to be perfect).

Another option would be an internal surround + a headphone amp instead of an external dock.
Any recommendations, amps? soundcards?

Perhaps??
Aureon 7.1 Universe
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/terratec/index.htm
DMX 6FIRE 24/96
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratecdmx6fire/

MY HARDWARE:
Sennheiser HD-555:
Open, dynamic
Nominal impedance: 120 Ohm
Jack plug: 6,3 mm stereo + (3, 5 mm Adapter)
Frequency response (headphones): 15 - 28000 Hz
Sound pressure level (SPL): 103 dB (1 kHz and 1 Veff)
Total harmonic distortion: < 0, 2 %

Panasonic 25$ business mic: (nothing special)
15-22000 Hz
Sensitivity: 100 dB
Impedance 32 Ohm
Max 500mW

My speakers: 2.1 Harman/Kardon HK395 (nothing special)
Total Power: 30 Watts @ 10% (THD+N)
Input Sensitivity: 380 mV rms
S/N Ratio: > 80 dBA
Frequency Response: 45 Hz to 20 kHz

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 15
No, the 1820m is not a good choice, and is out of your price range. If you want to get an EMU card, I would recommend the 1212m or the 404.

With the 1820m, you are going to be paying for features that you will never use (unless you want to do *serious* pro recording with very high end equipment).

You do not need a 5.1 soundcard to downsample 5.1 audio.

Also, if you want to get optimal sound, you will NEED an amp with the EMU cards. The outputs are not powered, they are line level.

What I would recommend is HD555 > EMU 404 > Pimeta (or alternative).

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 15
I do not have the technical skill to build an amp so what are the good prebuilt amps? I think the way to go would be an internal surround card. Unless these 2 are good?

Aureon 7.1 Universe
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/terratec/index.htm
DMX 6FIRE 24/96
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratecdmx6fire/

You mention the 0404 but as far as I know it doesn't support EAX dolby or DTS. So would it really suit my needs? For gaming the audigy 2 zs would be the best choice. But the quality isn't as good as other cards concerning music. I do not need special recording features. Which one is best? I will hook up an amp to it for my hd-555

- M-audio revolution 7.1 or 5.1
- Audiotrak prodigy
- Chaintech AV 701
- Audigy2 zs
- Aureon 7.1 Universe
- DMX 6FIRE 24/96 (is this an old model?)
- Aureon 5.1 Sky
- Audiophile 2496
- Delta 1010

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
What I would recommend is HD555 > EMU 404 > Pimeta (or alternative).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You should get an EMU 1212m with a Headsave Classic.

How would he use his mic and speakers with those recommendations?

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Indeed I have read that it wouldn't be possible to connect my mic to an emu 1212. My speakers are 2.1 but I don't require al the fancy recording features. If I can't find any good alternative I think I'll have to buy an audigy 2zs but probably that would suck right? I just want to get the most out of my headphone during music, gaming and movies but I still want to be able to connect my plugin-powered mic (3.5 mm jack) and my speakers.

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You should get an EMU 1212m with a Headsave Classic.

Are there good commercial headphone amplifiers on the market too? I am 17, hence don't have visa or mastercard. Shipping and payment would be difficult for me, living in Belgium (western europe).

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conraed
You mention the 0404 but as far as I know it doesn't support EAX dolby or DTS. So would it really suit my needs?

In case you don't know, all EMU soundcards (0404, 1212m, 1820, 1820m) did not support EAX, Dolby or DTS. Though it support DirectSound for your 2ch gaming.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 15
You should just get the audigy 2 ZS and a little pimeta amp.

You do not have the gear to appreciate a higher source, and it dosn't sound like you are going to be upgrading said gear anytime soon.

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 15
The Audigy 2 ZS is seriously flawed, IMO. Do not buy it unless you really are a serious gamer. Even then, the difference in framerates in little, and EAX is really stupid, IMO.

If you want a decent soundcard that will let you use your Mic without a preamp, maybe the Chaintech AV710 is for you. Heck, you could get 2, 1 for your cans, and 1 for your speakers?

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
The Audigy 2 ZS is seriously flawed, IMO. Do not buy it unless you really are a serious gamer. Even then, the difference in framerates in little, and EAX is really stupid, IMO.
If you want a decent soundcard that will let you use your Mic without a preamp, maybe the Chaintech AV710 is for you. Heck, you could get 2, 1 for your cans, and 1 for your speakers?

The problem is that I live in Europe and they don't sell the chaintech here. Are there very similar cards for about the same price? If not, I will try to get a chaintech somehow. I guess you were kidding about the 2 soundcards right? What are the advantages of buying 2 soundcards, can you use them both at the same time?

As an amp I was considering a headroom total airhead or bithead. Are they better than the headsave classic?

Comments would be greatly appreciated

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conraed
What are the advantages of buying 2 soundcards, can you use them both at the same time?

The advantage is that you can use a cheap card (such as the Chaintech) exclusively for music and something like an Audigy (2) for games and Windows noises hooked up through your speakers. I use such a setup right now and it works well.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 15
I dont think you need a soundcard that somehow "supports" DTS or dolby,the software like PowerDVD or NVdvd can decode them and output a normal wave out.Games sound pretty good on my 1212m,but no binaural mode.No way to hook a mic to it either,not without a preamp.I bought two mini->1/4 mono adapters to hook two mics into it,and was full of expectations,how Im gonna talk in ventrilo with stereo sound to my gaming buddies.But it registers no sound at all.Yet another money wasting,what do I do with these adapters now
mad.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
I dont think you need a soundcard that somehow "supports" DTS or dolby,the software like PowerDVD or NVdvd can decode them and output a normal wave out.Games sound pretty good on my 1212m,but no binaural mode.No way to hook a mic to it either,not without a preamp.I bought two mini->1/4 mono adapters to hook two mics into it,and was full of expectations,how Im gonna talk in ventrilo with stereo sound to my gaming buddies.But it registers no sound at all.Yet another money wasting,what do I do with these adapters now
mad.gif

Hah, I did the same thing, luckily I had the adapters already.

I got a USB mic tho, works good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back