Intermittent wiring on Senn HD580s
Oct 29, 2001 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ck42

New Head-Fier
As careful as I've been with these cans, they STILL have developed problems with intermittent connections in the cables.

The problem occurs right where the cables go into the ear pieces. I can wiggle the little plastic pieces and cause the audio to drop in/out.

Is there any way to fix this? Upgraded wiring? Send them back to Senn for repair? (out of warranty I think)

confused.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 16
blr:

Wiping the contacts??

If you're referring to the contacts that are internal to the earpieces, I've never had these cans open before and no idea how to even go about doing that.

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ck42
blr:

Wiping the contacts??

If you're referring to the contacts that are internal to the earpieces, I've never had these cans open before and no idea how to even go about doing that.

ck42,

I believe he's referring to the contacts of the plugs that are inserted into each earpiece. The headphone cable breaks of into a "Y", and each should be terminated into a plug (just fore of the plastic strain reliefs). I believe he's suggesting that you remove these cords from the earpieces and then use something (maybe ProGold and/or DeOXIT by Caig) to clean/condition the contacts on those plugs.

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 16
jude:

I looked at the ear pieces and can't see any sort of way to dissasemble them so that I CAN get to the contacts.

Are there any Instructions somewhere that explain how to do this?

At the ends of the wires, there is a strain relief plastic piece that almost looks like it should just pull out of the earpieces. I tugged pretty hard on them but they don't appear to be detachable in this way. I need to somehow get these earpieces open.

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

At the ends of the wires, there is a strain relief plastic piece that almost looks like it should just pull out of the earpieces. I tugged pretty hard on them but they don't appear to be detachable in this way. I need to somehow get these earpieces open.

On my HD-600's (and on the HD-580's I've seen referenced on this site by other owners), those strain reliefs are connected to removable plugs. HOWEVER, wait until someone here confirms that all HD-580's have removable plugs (I'm pretty sure they do) before you start playing tug-of-war with your headphone cables.

Can someone here kindly let us know if all HD-580's should have removable headphone cords?

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 16
jude:

I just took a BIG chance
wink.gif
and tugged a little harder on those strain reliefs....POP!

The plug came out. Just wasn't pulling quite hard enuf.

So....I'll clean these guys off and see how things go.

THNX!

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 16
CK42.
I have 580's too. I USED TO have the same problem, here's what you you:

Where the cords connect to the ear cups there is a plug (Yes, they do come out) Gently pull them out.
You will see 2 prongs on each plug, clean these well with contact cleaner and then treat with a contact enhancer like TCP or Pro Gold.

Plug and unplug these connectors several times, this will help get the contact enhancer wiped on the internal connections, no need to disassemble.

Wipe off the excess fluid if there is any, plug the phones in a final time and your problem should be gone.

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

jude:

I just took a BIG chance
wink.gif
and tugged a little harder on those strain reliefs....POP!

The plug came out. Just wasn't pulling quite hard enuf.

So....I'll clean these guys off and see how things go.

THNX!

PHEW!

One hates to be the purveyor of destructive advice. Glad you got the cords off, man (wipes sweaty brow).

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Jep....just spit on them and wiped them off on my dirty t-shirt.

The intermintancy issue appears to be completely gone
wink.gif

Thanks a TON people!!

Spit, eh? Heheh....hey, man, if it works.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi, ck42! What a way to start, eh?

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Sorry guys to cause this confusion. Just posted from work, being in a hurry (as always). Thanks Jude and Todd R for explaining this further. This is exactly what I meant. Hope this will solve your problem ck42.

Oct 29, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 16
LOL!

I can just see it now....."Audiophile Grade Spit" (Organically produced; NO toxins; Guaranteed 100% Purity)
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back