intergrated sound, nvidia, various questions
Jun 26, 2006 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ironlynxtk

New Head-Fier
this is my first post; Im here to get educated :p

My PC has a Karajan Audio module that I had to install on the motherboard. Its not the best of sound cards but its what I have to deal with right now. It came with the Nvidia NVMixer software for playing around with the audio. I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the CineSurround effect and whether its crap or does it make audio sound better?

I listen to a huge range of music, nearly ALL types. The genre I listen to most would be Power Metal. From my testing on a Sennheiser PC150 listening to some songs (Sonata Arctica - Silence in Merge 320 bitrate), when I turn on the Headphone (CineSurround) setting; it seems the sound is coming slightly infront of me. It also sounds much louder, the bass is stronger, but the sound is a little fuzzy. Also when my headphones are on the lowest volume setting i cant hear my self type; while on normal I can hear myself type. The normal Headphone setting makes it sound like its coming slightly from the back part of the headphones. Its more flat, the bass and guitar sounds are rather background music almost. I also tried playing Counter-Strike: Source, and while playing the sound had a cone effect to it, like someone was covering my ears with cupped hands. The guns I shot, their sounds were being played 2 times (<-- def not sounding correctly). I use the PC150s for gaming and I was looking into getting way better headphones for gaming and music.

Would investing in a higher quality sound card such as the Creative X-Fi really make a difference? I read something about the card converting audio to 24-bit and CMSS-3D which converts audio into surround sound; is this utter marketing nonsense or do they speak the truth?!

After doing extensive searching on the forums for various topics that pertain to my situation (A competetive video gamer first; and a music listener a very close second) I decided that I will purchase the BeyerDynamic DT770-80. Now my question is, will my less then spectacular sound card do justice with headphones like these or will I need an amp? I am willing to buy the X-Fi XtremeMusic if it will really make a difference with the DT770s with or without an amp. Without an amp will be important as I dont have enough money to get the headset, xfi card and an amp. its either the amp or the x-fi (if it matters)

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Go ahead and get the X-Fi Xtrememusic if your getting the 80 ohm version of the DT 770s.

I know from personnel experince the X-fi is amazing. I wouldnt ever trust anything onboard on a computer for an audio source.

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the rediculously fast response;

I just have one more question, assuming im using the dt770s, and an x-fi card; is there a notable difference in getting the amp later?

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 4
Some tips for teh x-fi:

1. Use the 2/2.1 speakers for Entertainment mode when you listen to music. I do this b/c the surround sound for 2/2.1 speakers is much better than the one for headphones (for gaming, though, use the headphone surround.). Rarely the surround sound gets activated randomly.

2. All the "features" reduce sq (and raise the volume!), but if they make the sound more enjoyable go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back