Interfacing iPod Touch, blackberry, or other wifi-enabled device with Slim Devices Transporter/Squeezebox?
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

steaxauce

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone say whether or not such a device is capable of hosting a wifi audio device? If so, this would be a fantastic way of getting a clean digital output, especially if there are any portable wifi audio interfaces out there. Think of it; you could have your wifi audio interface outputting s/pdif to your portable DAC and headphone amp in your backpack (maybe a Headroom portable desktop, or a Lisa III and a nice portable DAC) and control it wirelessly with your blackberry or iPod touch. Would this work? What about a bluetooth device?

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 6
There's a program for the iPhone/iPod Touch called Signal.

I've used it briefly and was going to use an iPod Touch and an Apple Airport Express to wireless stream stuff to my DAC. I was less than impressed with Signal though.

You download the software onto your PC and start it up. It acts like a server for your tunes and creates a separate playlist in iTunes for the music you choose to play. You can then search and select items to play via your iPhone/iPod Touch.

It's a bit clunky tough....you can't alter the playlist and once stuff is in the playlist you can't get it out unless you go back to your PC and manually delete it. It's a neat idea and I hope it grows further from what it is, but it wasn't as slick or easy to use as the UI on a Squeezebox.

EDIT: I don't know of anything that would allow you to interface those devices with the Squeezebox directly though...sorry, my post was a bit OT.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 6
After a little googling:

Using iPod touch to control Slimserver - Slim Devices : Community : Forums

iPhone / iPod touch skin for SlimServer - Slim Devices : Community : Forums

iPeng - the iPhone Skin for SqueezeCenter | Penguin Loves Music

I'm not associated with this person in any way...the penguin connection is random, but heartwarming
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks a lot, Thrice. That clears up the question about the iPod. With this in mind, if someone has an iPod touch or an iPhone, they'd probably be much better off with a Squeezebox than with a Wadia iTransport. It's $50 less, it has digital as well as analog outputs, and it interfaces with the iPod wirelessly, so you could use the iPod as a remote for your system. Now my only questions are whether the same thing can be done with a blackberry, and whether or not there are any portable audio interfaces that work similarly, so that we could use the iPod (or a Blackberry) with a portabe DAC. Anyone know of any?

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 6
There also Signal:

Signal - Screenshots

It looks from the screenshots that you can use it with a pocket PC...not sure if that covers he blackberry as I've never owned, used or been exposed to one.

I've used signal for the iPod and I'm not crazy about the interface, but that may change once there's an SDK for the ipod touch/iphone...no idea about the blackberry though.

A quick search through Versiontracker might be good...it's a site that catalogs software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back