Interface Headphone out -> Schiit Lyr in = bad idea?
May 15, 2015 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Westron

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here, but have been using head fi for countless tips and bits of info for many years.

I just purchased my first dedicated headphone tube amp and I was wondering about connectivity. I have a Focusrite Scarlett interface (with 2 headphone outs) that I had previously been using for headphone output and I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to wire the headphone out of the Scarlett to the input on the Lyr. (I want to do this mainly so that I wont need to have main out volume up to listen to the headphones) Seems to me like it wouldn't be a huge deal since the Scarlett headphone out is not heavily amplified and has no power amp, but it would also make sense if this would just be adding microphonics to the chain with multiple amplifiers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Headphones: LCD XC

May 15, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 8
You can certainly adjust the headphone out on the FS such that it would work OK with the Lyr, just like people use headphone amps connected to their phone headphone jacks.

But of course optimal is to connect it to a line out on your FS.

May 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I believe the line 3/4 outs don't correspond to the master, but line 1/2 do (would that make it a pre-out?)

I can use the mixcontrol or whatever Focusrite calls it to use 3/4 as a slave to normal output but I usually use it as a cue track when performing with Ableton.

It is a Scarlett 6i6

May 15, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 8
The idea of a pre-out is that it's going through the pre-amp, which means volume control (and some times tone controls or other processing). Line outs are generally the direct out that is not affected by anything.

May 15, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Have it connected via 3/4 line outs and it is working just fine. Seems more correct to me, only an extremely minor audible change, if any, likely to be placebo, but still seems more logical. Also don't need to worry about two pots anymore!

Thanks again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back