Interesting Read @fixup
Jul 26, 2005 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crypt@

100+ Head-Fier
For SM3 owners, anyone who may be contemplating to become one, fence sitter or simply nosy
eek.gif
... Newsletter 07/25/05

It is good to see amp builder(s) frequenting the threads to the benefit of Head-Fi'ers...

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 9
Yes, it's good to see the issues raised on Head-Fi addressed by the manufacturer.

However, I couldn't help thinking that threads like "Warning guide for new SM3!" are misleading and unnecessary.

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 9
In the post linked above, XIN is also referring to a "Class A tweak". Does any of you know what this is, and where (on head-fi?) I can find more information about it?

Thanks and best regards.

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 9
It really isn't so much as a tweak as just adding bias to the opamp so that it runs more in class A. This keeps the opamp "on" full power all the time, which can lead to a cleaner and more dynamic sound. There are other factors but suffice it to say that it jumps the SM V3 regular or Lite to another rung on the listening ladder. I listen to everything now with class A and the change is very nice.

John

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks a lot. But how do I actually do this? How do I "add bias"? where can I find info (on head-fi?) about this "tweak"?

Thanks and best regards.

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
... I couldn't help thinking that threads like "Warning guide for new SM3!" are misleading and unnecessary.

Though at times they seem to be unnecessary, it is because of these "differences" in perspectives of others (be it well informed or just paranoid conjectures
eek.gif
) that the public becomes more informed. And some times they help to spur the iterative research/development/implementation cycle as well!

(Edit...)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
In the post linked above, XIN is also referring to a "Class A tweak". Does any of you know what this is, and where (on head-fi?) I can find more information about it?

Have a read of Listening with opamps, rolling on SM-3, page 9 and on...

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Yes, differences of opinion makes discussion more interesting and improves the general knowledgebase.

To be clear, I wasn't implying that negative opinions of the SM3 are "unnecessary." On the contrary, I wouldn't mind seeing more negative opinions of equipment that are based on logical and well-reasoned arguments. The "xx amp sucks!" and "no, it eats xx amp for lunch" posts don't mean much to me.

Now that we've had the benefit of discussion and Xin's newsletter, I agree the community has become better informed.

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
... To be clear, I wasn't implying that negative opinions of the SM3 are "unnecessary." On the contrary, I wouldn't mind seeing more negative opinions of equipment that are based on logical and well-reasoned arguments. The "xx amp sucks!" and "no, it eats xx amp for lunch" posts don't mean much to me...

Indeed... unfortunately those bring-up-my-post-counts-posts mean a whole lot of "unnecessary" scrolling for the rest of us, not to mention the RSI induced on the mouse wheel finger!!
tongue.gif
(... Very much like this one I just typed...
eek.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back