interesting portable Cmoy
Apr 20, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 13
The airhead now uses the AD8397.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 13
is stand corrected.

The 8397 in my macro is nice...I like the sound. Has the airhead's sound then come close to the micro? I think the micro still uses the 2134, I know that Op-Amp isnt the main thing that shapes the sound, but do you think that the airhead competes well? Is the Bithead thicker than the Airhead?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 13
is stand corrected.

The 8397 in my macro is nice...I like the sound. Has the airhead's sound then come close to the micro? I think the micro still uses the 2134, I know that Op-Amp isnt the main thing that shapes the sound, but do you think that the airhead competes well? Is the Bithead thicker than the Airhead?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 13
The airheads and bitheads share the same outer casing, and overall weight.

The CMOY is unbuffered, and the current output and slew rate of a 2134 driving a headphone directly isn't particularly fantastic.

Also, regarding the sound of opamps in comapring one amp to another, remember that HeadRoom upgraded their sound quality when moving from the '03 to the '04 reference, despite the fact that they downgraded the opamp from the 627, king of opamps, to the 2134. It really is what you do with it that counts. And look at the Meier amps - they use LMwhatevertheyare's which as far as I understand are extremely cheap and cheerful opamps, yet they sound fantastic in his circuit design.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Exactly, it is all about design. The CMOY, although a great design, can be easily beaten with a little thought. Not that this is such a surprise, as the intention of the CMOY was to have a cheap, simple amp for the masses to build.

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 13
cool, thanks for all the replies. That said, any opinions on the comparison/difference betweent the NEW bithead and the microstack? I am guessing that the Microstack blows it away, but Curious how much difference. I ask this becuause I am considering a portable rig for my laptop to take to school, different locations in my house, Panara, etc. The MicroStack is more transportable than portable, but that is ok if the quality of sound is that large. BTW...I will mainly be driving IEM with them, but may get some smaller cans to use with it now and then. I also want to be able to drive my 240m (600ohm) with it at home, but if the sound with IEM is not that vastly improved by the Microstack that cannot be done with the Bithead, then I may just get an ultraportable setup, and invest in a staionary set up later.

thanks for the replies

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Compare to what?

duh...to the one in the first post.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn
duh...to the one in the first post.
rolleyes.gif

That one uses a crankier opamp, so the circuit would have to be a little more complex than the OPA2134 cmoy circuit. Anyway, the LM6171 opamp has a faster, cleaner, and more neutral sound than the OPA2134.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back