Interesting news article about Sony and Samsung
Mar 15, 2005 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Mar 15, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Last week Sony appointed a new CEO. For the first time, non Japanese born and bloodline was elected to hold the chairman position. It could prove the world again like how Nissan came back with non Japanese CEO, Mr.Gosn. I think that's how you spell his name???Many Japanese companies are very global now. No more Japanese boss like the old days.

Mar 15, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Last week Sony appointed a new CEO. For the first time, non Japanese born and bloodline was elected to hold the chairman position. It could prove the world again like how Nissan came back with non Japanese CEO, Mr.Gosn. I think that's how you spell his name???Many Japanese companies are very global now. No more Japanese boss like the old days.

Let's hope they make some drastic changes (ie. dump sonicstage and atrac in favor of mp3, ogg, flac, wma support). Sony has a lot to learn and i'm glad their on the ropes right now, because their actions alone got them there.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 11
I love Samsung products.

Now if only they'd make a decent pair of headphones......
tongue.gif

-Ed

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Let's hope they make some drastic changes (ie. dump sonicstage and atrac in favor of mp3, ogg, flac, wma support). Sony has a lot to learn and i'm glad their on the ropes right now, because their actions alone got them there.

Yes, Sony is the old stubborn dragon. We can name so many formats which Sony tried to push us. Such mediums have really ruined this company starting with Beta, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, Atrac, etc. If they get over this big-headed attitude, they can come back.

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Yes, Sony is the old stubborn dragon. We can name so many formats which Sony tried to push us. Such mediums have really ruined this company starting with Beta, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, Atrac, etc. If they get over this big-headed attitude, they can come back.

Beta actually had better audio/video quality over VHS but Sony lost marketing war against Panasonic, costed them almost entire consumer VCR market.
Being innovative and successful is two different things, it seems to me like Sony fell into a cleek in-between --- so-so innovative and so-so successful.

Mar 17, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 11
**** sony. ridiculously proprietary. they tried to be the MS of electronics. when a company lives on brand recognition and advertising alone, it's soon to die.

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 11
The end of this year should prove interesting as larger capacity flash-only players and content-delivery hybrid portables become more popular. We at head-fi are what the Japan and Asian manufacturers worry they may base their business plans on - a niche market. As music lovers move from portable CD players to HDD units to flash players and ultimately to flash/subscription-based players, SQ seems to be secondary compared to ease of content acquisition. In other words, easy to rip to; easy to download to.

Sony and Panasonic have been introducing very interesting DAPs for several years now, with Sony pushing SonicStage and Panasonic Realplayer. Like broadband, music player sftware seems to pull sales of these devices through, even when you have a proprietary DRM like iTunes.

All I can say is I am happy to be part of a niche market...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back