Interesting list of well mastered CD's
Nov 22, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Grahame,
This is an interesting list. There certainly is a wide range of quality with recordings in general and especially analog to digital transfers.

I am familiar with a few of these and am going through the rest now. At the very least I am finding some nice music that I am unfamilar with. I am listening with pleasure to the Penguin Cafe Orchestra right now.
Thank you,
Vito

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 8
Very interesting indeed....thanks!!

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 8
I have been trying to find out how to get a loadness value such as this for various albums in my music collection. There has to be a way to do it with a computer. I have Goldwave, Foobar, and Cool edit Pro.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always did think that my "Stop Making Sense" CD sounded great, and after reading the comments on it there I now see why.

All this time I thought it was just the performances!

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been trying to find out how to get a loadness value such as this for various albums in my music collection. There has to be a way to do it with a computer. I have Goldwave, Foobar, and Cool edit Pro.

If you have foobar, then you can add / check ReplayGain values for Tracks/Albums

I got the following Album gains using ReplayGain on Foobar from FLAC rips using EAC.

-1.52 dB for Body and Soul - Joe Jackson
-2.62 dB for The Night Fly - Donald Fagen
-4.06 dB for Citizen Steely Dan CD 1
-3.95 dB for Citizen Steely Dan CD 2
-3.78 dB for Citizen Steely Dan CD 3
-3.40 dB for Citizen Steely Dan CD 4

Which would seem to tie up with the article.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 8
i'm looking forward to the new Erasure album being mastered well - why not, since Gareth Jones is using a Benchmark DAC-1! Reminds me of the thrill when i saw that they used a Grado RS-1 to mix Union Street...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back