Interesting issue with my Sennheiser HD cans
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bob A (SD)

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had a problem with buzzing in my left side of my old HD580s on and off now for over a year.   I solved it originally when I found the lollipop driver wasn't fully seated properly.  A few days ago the buzzing returned and I opened things up for a look.  Again I found the lollipop wasn't fully seated.  A single tab had become unsecure.  Last time the bottom of the lollipop where the cable connects was loose along with a couple tabs.   I'm wondering how I can keep this from happening again.  Any suggestions?

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Don't want to do anything permanent.  Would a glob of sticky-tac on each of the 4 tabs do the trick?

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 13
Try super glue? You could use a soldering iron to gently melt the plastic part onto each other so they won't come off, but again, both of these solutions could ruin your headphones if not done with extreme caution, not to mention that it's irreversible. Using something like tape will likely degrade the sound as the drivers should be held there as tightly as possible. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Try super glue? You could use a soldering iron to gently melt the plastic part onto each other so they won't come off, but again, both of these solutions could ruin your headphones if not done with extreme caution, not to mention that it's irreversible. Using something like tape will likely degrade the sound as the drivers should be held there as tightly as possible. 

That's why I didn't recommend anything. Anything you do could possibly alter the sound quality and even break the headphones. Any DIY fixes are entirely at your own risk.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 13
That's why I didn't recommend anything. Anything you do could possibly alter the sound quality and even break the headphones. Any DIY fixes are entirely at your own risk.

Definitely. I say the least dangerous option is a tiny dab of super glue, but even that could be a bit risky. But hey, they're not my headphones, and I DIY fix my headphones once a while and **** up too. Oh well, good luck to OP!

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Why not a dab of hot melt glue?  It is usually strong enough for minor repairs and is relatively easy to undo, without permanent damage to parts.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 13
  Why not a dab of hot melt glue?  It is usually strong enough for minor repairs and is relatively easy to undo, without permanent damage to parts.

Many might be suprised but at 69 I've never used hot melt glue.  I need to research how one removes the stuff.  But I'll take your suggestion under advisement.  Thanks!

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 13
You're welcome.  Normally, when applied to plastic parts, you can just peel off hot melt glue with your fingers if it becomes necessary. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 13
I'd put super glue on that tab.

For extra security, I'd also put dynamat extreme on the left and right side of the lolly pop driver to secure the driver to the housing, so if any other tabs fail you got dynamat to hold the driver in.

Just the left and right spots with dynamat, no need to do the other mods in the picture. Dynamat is reversible. Also enjoy some sonic benefits, the loose coupling with the lolly pop driver and the housing is a source of distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back