Mar 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

olblueyez

Banned
PRICE LIST / JAC-MUSIC
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had me lookin on Ebay till 3 last night.

LOL. If you're looking for 5963's, look for the RCA black (carbon) plates. I agree it's one of the overachievers in the 12AU7 family.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 22
You have to be careful with substitutions. Not all work well everywhere. for instance if I put a 5751 in place of my 12AX7 in my phono stage it changes the gain and the tone. The tubes are an active part of the equalization circuit there.

Bob

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Just picked one up for myself.
biggrin.gif

Ditto x 2. One of these days I'm going to buy it, and then mention it. Just think if the ad was just for 1 tube!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto x 2. One of these days I'm going to buy it, and then mention it. Just think if the ad was just for 1 tube!
tongue.gif

I do it all the time.
biggrin.gif
My Raptor is at Rays getting a new Pot. I cant wait to see how that GB sounds in the gain socket. I have some matching driver tubes and they are nice. Fairly detailed but very very very smooth.
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 22
Had a chance to try out the Sylvania GB 5963 yet, or is your car still in the shop?
tongue.gif
I've only tried it for a few hours, over a few days, but so far I like the way it sounds with my Tung Sol 5687. Something between a Mullard Long Plate and a 7316, if I had to guess. I would put an Amperex Long Plate (yes, I have one!) in the same category, but something tells me that if they were compared directly, the GB 5963 would be the winner. It's not so great with the Sylvania GB 5687 on my system though; that, of course, was the first combo I tried.
confused_face.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 22
I was just checking my stock of tubes and came by a Sylvania 5963. Looks like it was made for the US Navy..

It has USN CHS on it...

Also semes like I have a GM Delco SE 12BH7A...anyone know who manufactured this one?

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just checking my stock of tubes and came by a Sylvania 5963. Looks like it was made for the US Navy..

It has USN CHS on it...

Also semes like I have a GM Delco SE 12BH7A...anyone know who manufactured this one?

You would have to match it to photos of 12BH7 type tubes.

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Tell me, can you be more specific about the sound?

Nuts, I was hoping no one would ask. I'm no Skylab, but let's just say that my initial impression is that human voices sound the way they do with the Mullard Long Plates, and instruments sound the way they do on the 7316. Voices have a certain volume to them, 3 dimensional and such. Instruments have good separation and you can pick them out. They sound the way you'd expect; flutes have that metallic quality, and the sound of the guitar has that certain rhythm that makes us spend money like madmen.
wink.gif
I wouldn't say that the tube has a lot of color though.
With the GB 5687, it sounds good, but a bit muddled, like the Mullard Long Plate with the GB 5687, I guess. Any other 5687 worth trying? Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing impressions for other people who have tried some of these other, less talked about tubes.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 22
The RCA Blac/Bronze Plate 5687 tubes are more dynamic and crisper than the tungsols, the tungsols are a bit unrefined in comparison. If you took the tungsol and reduced the bass weight a bit and then added impact and then added clairity to the highs then you would have an RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back