Interesting General Medical Facts
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
With an audience so large, I think we could learn a lot from each other outside the headphone focus as well.

Please, be sure to verify accuracy before posting (for obvious reasons =)

I'll start:

REM typically starts 90 minutes into sleep.

During sleep, if you are snoring, then you are not dreaming.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 18
It's possible for teeth to grow in your eye sockets, pelvis, etc. Even Tumors can grow teeth and hair. My uncle is an oral surgeon, and has a couple crazy stories every now and then...

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
It's possible for teeth to grow in your eye sockets, pelvis, etc.

And I already not like my dentist as it is.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 18
Jefemeister, I think your uncle is talking about teratomas or specifically ovarian dermoid cycts. Those can include hair too in addition to teeth. So you'll need a hair dresser too in addition to the dentist.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
During sleep, if you are snoring, then you are not dreaming.

I've dreamnt and caught myself snoring.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastside504
some people have their heart on the right side instead of the normal left side (dextrocardia).

I've heard of this in mirror image twins. But truthfully, the heart is positioned in the center of the chest with its apex pointed downwards to the left. Because the main pumping (left) ventricle is usually on the left and also the aorta, you feel the heart's pulsing action more on the left side of your chest.

Quote:

Anatomically it lies in the mediastinum, the region between the two lungs that holds several organs.

heart1.htm_txt_heart4.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 18
I wouldn't worry Billy, it's probably just your heart pumping
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I've dreamnt and caught myself snoring.

Hm, I'm not sure then! I could be wrong, if I am, I apologize
frown.gif

In my defence, in an effort to follow my own directions, I did look it up for verification and came up with:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://science.howstuffworks.com/dream4.htm
[size=small]Dream Facts[/size]

* Most dreams last anywhere from five to 20 minutes.

* People don't only dream in black and white, as was once believed.

* Even though they may not remember them, everyone dreams several times a night. In fact, during a typical lifetime, we spend about six years dreaming.

* People who have been blind from birth have dreams that are formed from their other senses (e.g., touch, smell, sound).

* When people are snoring, they're not dreaming.

* Elephants (and some other animals) sleep standing up during non-REM sleep, but lie down for REM sleep.

confused.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812

it looks like my heart is pumping rite thru the skin, only in the middle rite around where my lungs/rib cage start...

what is it?

They were asking themselves the same question......
biggrin.gif

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.../ian_holm1.jpg

Amicalement

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
hey bunny ears and other people...

I have a question

I am pretty skinny infact so much so I can see a pumping action in the middles of my chest...

it looks like my heart is pumping rite thru the skin, only in the middle rite around where my lungs/rib cage start...

what is it?

Hey Billy, me too.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

* Elephants (and some other animals) sleep standing up during non-REM sleep, but lie down for REM sleep.

That's because when we enter REM sleep we lose muscle control. This was shown by a psychologist named Jouvet, who took a series of cats who were incredibly afraid of water. She placed them on top of upturned plant pots inside a large tank of water, so they could barely stand on them. When the cat fell asleep it would stay sat up - but as soon as it entered REM sleep it lost muscle control - thus falling into the water and getting a nasty surprise. After a while the cats somehow learnt to not enter REM sleep. Which killed them.

Some animals are unable to have REM sleep at all, such as the dolphin and the spiny anteater (echidna). The former has 'microsleep', no more than a second at a time, and the latter has an enlarged frontal lobe to somehow cope without REM sleep.

I learnt this in psychology
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back