Interesting cable article
Aug 11, 2001 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Holy Cow!!

I thought that my Quartz III was expensive...

Quote:

The Quartz x 3 ($165/1m pair) interconnect uses 6N copper conductors to convey a detailed, yet unforced impression of the music's harmonic tapestry. Treble detail is also quite refined, accounting for the Quartz's natural flavor.

The Diamond x 3 ($950/1m pair) interconnect is the senior member of the Audio Truth series (I have not listened to the other "gems" in the series - the Opal, Emerald, or the Lapis). FPS silver used in an elaborate "Air-Hyperlitz" construction accounts for the Diamond's astounding level of harmonic textural purity. That such a level of purity comes bundled together with exceptional low-level detail resolution is a miracle indeed. Gloriously sweet and refined!

Did I mention the Diamond's spatial resolution? On some recordings, image outlines were so 3-D as to conjure the Gestalt of being there. However, in my experience the sound of the Diamond has been system dependent - so be sure to audition it in the context of your own system.

Yes, ICs (and cables in general) do make a difference, but how could you justify the cost of the Diamond III? (for that matter, how could I even justify the cost of the Quartz?)

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the link Jude.

That cables make difference is absolutely beyond doubt for me.
I don't trust ads I trust my ears. However, the cost of cables should be coupled to the cost and resolving ability of the equipment. IMO in a good headphone rig one can break the "10% on wire" cost rule since headphone based systems are generally more transparent than than speaker ones at the respective price points. Even then I wouldn't buy ultra expensive cables( my current ones cost about $160), since a later hardware upgrade may show that they don't partner well. I mean, imagine that your system can tollerate a bit of a cable brightness and it sounds fantastic withe cables-x. later on you upgrade a component and the new one is a bit more forward. Together with cable-x they make a bright sounding system.
Of course in the ideal case a good interconnect should not have a character on its own, ie should be totaly neutral. In prectise most cables colour the sound to some extent. The sound of cables can also be system dependent. Some cables for instance are better suited to high input impedance amps while others will work at their best with lower imp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back