Interested in Rockboxing Sansa E280?
Mar 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bowedtoothdoc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I have a 8Gb Sansa E280 that I had just about given up on after getting a new Sansa Fuze and came across a thread where someone mentioned Rockbox firmware. I am interested in installing this on my E280 as from what I have read it should improve the player substantially. Currently the micro SD expansion is limited to 2Gb. Anything larger is not recognized by the player.
This is my biggest gripe. If I install the Rockbox firmware will I be able to use a higher capacity expansion card or will I still be stuck at the 2Gb limit?

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 7
No, I am not interested!

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Awsome,
Just need to learn how to do this!

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I am not interested!

Wow! Today I hit my 100th post. Only 31,825+ more posts to beat you!
Watch your back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 7
I would highly recommend Rockboxing the E280, if at all possible - it will breath new life into your player.

First caveat: Your player may not be supported. At this time, only the V1 and R models work with Rockbox. Check out the wiki here: SansaE200Port < Main < Wiki. If you have a V2, you're out of luck. If I remember correctly, firmware 1.xxx is v1, 2.xxx is R, and 3.xxx is a V2 (but don't quote me on that). If you have a V1 or an R, read the wiki for the installation. If I remember correctly, the V1's are very easy to install, but the R's require a few extra steps.

You'll get extra codec support, ability to run 30fps videos instead of 15fps, some games, and support for MicroSD cards above 2GB. What you'll lose is the ability to play DRM'd files as Rockbox does not support that. And the excellent EQ will improve the SQ a bit, although it's general known that the older E200's SQ are not very good overall.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would highly recommend Rockboxing the E280, if at all possible - it will breath new life into your player.

First caveat: Your player may not be supported. At this time, only the V1 and R models work with Rockbox. Check out the wiki here: SansaE200Port < Main < Wiki. If you have a V2, you're out of luck. If I remember correctly, firmware 1.xxx is v1, 2.xxx is R, and 3.xxx is a V2 (but don't quote me on that). If you have a V1 or an R, read the wiki for the installation. If I remember correctly, the V1's are very easy to install, but the R's require a few extra steps.

You'll get extra codec support, ability to run 30fps videos instead of 15fps, some games, and support for MicroSD cards above 2GB. What you'll lose is the ability to play DRM'd files as Rockbox does not support that. And the excellent EQ will improve the SQ a bit, although it's general known that the older E200's SQ are not very good overall.

Thanks for the info. Mine's an R model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back