interested in ogg format
Oct 13, 2002 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ingenious28

New Head-Fier
ive been hearing a lot of good things about this format recently, and wanted to give it a listen myself
my current understanding of this process is that you must first rip an audio track to wav, then transfer it to ogg.
is this correct?
what rippers/encoders/settings are best for this process?
thanx

Oct 13, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 12
I know very little about the ogg format, but the best way to rip audio (assuming you're using windows) is Exact Audio Copy.

It's the only ripper that has error correction, so you're guaranteed a perfect rip -- and if for some reason the rip wasn't perfect, EAC'll tell you.

Get it here.

Oct 14, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 12
i already know about EAC, but will it rip audio tracks into ogg format?

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 12
You could also use CDex, which allows you to directly encode into .ogg format. At least the older versions did, I haven't tried the new one yet. The team working on CDex was pretty good about incorporating in the newest encoder into their program.

Get CDex here

Or you could as you said rip the CD to .wav with EAC and then use oggdrop which is available from the official website. You have been to the official vorbis website right?

Hope this is helpful

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ingenious28
i already know about EAC, but will it rip audio tracks into ogg format?

EAC can use any external encoder. You just have to configure it in the compression options.

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 12
ive used oggdrop in the past, but for some reason, there seems to be no bass in the ogg what-so-ever, and i was hoping to find a program that would allow me to rip directly to ogg
im checking out CDex right now, i'll post back later and tell you how it worked

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Hey,

I think that Ogg Vorbis is superior to MP3. The difference is subtle but it is definitely there. I don't have the proper vocabulary to describe it... the closest I can think of is that it is smoother than MP3... that isn't a good explanation though.

Anyway, the encoder I used was the one that comes with MediaJukebox... which is the jukebox software I prefer. (If you want to take a look at it, download it from CNET) It seemed pretty good.

OT: After listening to Ogg for a while, I found another format called MP+ or MPC that I personally prefer. With Ogg the dynamic range always felt a little compressed, but in my experience MPC doesn't. Anyway, I can't find the link right now, but if anyone is interested I'll try to find it. (There also is an encoder for MediaJukebox but I generally use the command line version.)

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 12
lol, i feel kinda stupid on my part, but every time i played an ogg after playing a mp3, my eq would turn of on winamp. explaining the lack of bass and general low quality sound
smily_headphones1.gif

i am very happy with the sound quality
i am now going to try out mp+, i'll post more about all of this later on

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 12
lol... I've done similar things in testing audio formats.

Anyway, I can't seem to find the site where I got most of my MP+ software from, but here is a pretty good one if anyone is interested: http://vhdan.tripod.com/mpp.html

ingenious28, I look forward to hearing your impressions of MP+. I'll be curious to hear if you agree with my take on it because its hard to say if it realy sounds better or if it just sounds better to my tastes. (Or if it is just subliminal!)

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 12
I know a lossless compression called APE, (http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ ). compression rate is 50%

Are there any better lossless compression method?

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #11 of 12
I just ripped my first OGG files... did Massive Attack - Blue Lines, and the OGG files sound good. I think they sound better than MP3, but it's hard to tell when using these speakers (Klipsch 4.1).

For a while I was thinking of doing my whole collection in OGG, but iPod doesn't support them, and then I realised I'd need another hard drive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 12
I love ogg. I switched once version 1.0 came out. I rip cds with EAC then compress the waves using OggDropXP... it just works faster for me. I encode at 4.99 and it sounds just as good as lame encoded mp3s using --alt-preset standard. I'm glad that iRiver will have ogg support sometime in a firmware update
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back