Interested in Isolation Pads. (Updated)
Sep 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EngineerMan

New Head-Fier
What's up guys.

Just wanted to stop by and ask for everyone's opinion on studio monitor isolation pads. 

I've got an elevated studio desk with 2 Behringer 3031A monitors and the bass (vibration) is just ridiculous from a simple 2.0 setup.

I've been looking into getting either:

the Auralex SpeakerDude HD speaker platforms (http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-SpeakerDude-Speaker-Isolation-Platforms/dp/B00266HBSU/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1)

or the Auralex MoPad Monitor Isolation Pads (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Auralex-MoPad-Monitor-Isolation-Pads-101676609-i1134516.gc)

There aren't any stores near me that carry them so I can't test them out so wanted to hear experience from them or similar ones.

I'm mainly concerned with vibration reduction as well as monitor stabilization. (don't want that **** falling off my desk, lol)  Space is kinda tight, so any other isolation tips or help would be appreciated too considering the walls here are a bit on the thin side.

Here's a pic of the setup for anyone interested.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I picked up some Auralex MoPad Monitor Isolation Pads about two months ago and they make a big difference eliminating the bass transfer into the table. Bass is nice and tight and treble detail is sparkly clear from my Insignia Bass Reflex bookshelf speakers i brought at Best Buy recently.

I use them in nearfield positioning in a similar tight spacing like yours but in the corner of the room. They're toed in at a triangle shaped angle aiming at my ears with the tweeters at ear level. With this setup i can use my speakers at any hour of the night with no worries since everything is coming in so clear at low volumes.

I have some heavy curtains by the window which i have noticed also changes the speaker sound to a more full sound. So you may want to close those curtains with the window behind your setup.

I picked up my Auralex Mopads at Amazon when they were on sale. You might want to get them there if you can order online or know someone who can do you the favor.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the response!  I like the idea of the mopads, but they looked like they would make my monitors a bit unstable if anyone were to 'bump' them.  That's why I posted the speakerdudes as well. I have my monitors angled to my ears at an equidistant arrangement, so they're pretty well isolated from the rest of the house.  And those are thick thermal blackout curtains in the back, and they're usually never open unless it's nice out.  I have noticed they help a bit as well, lol.  

I'd like to get a few absorption wedges and a rear waveprism diffusor to help out as well after I add a reference sub to help dial it in.  Right now the room layout produces pretty damn good pressure levels for a bedroom and I'd like to help with the treble and low end separation.

Thanks again..

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Alright, so couldn't resist and ended up ordering the Auralex SpeakerDude HD pads and their SubDude isolation platform.  I'm thinking of making my own wall mounted stuffed acoustic panels.

Will post shots after they're installed and give my impressions for those interested.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Finally got them in.  And from my initial impressions, I can definitely say they complete change the depth of the music and create more instrumental separation.  It does kill a lot of low end (not all though considering they're 8"+ drivers) but it makes for more clarity.  It definitely cut down on my desk vibration problem and hopefully I don't piss off the neighbors as much anymore (until my studio sub arrives, lol).  I also like the 4 degree decline to angle the drivers directly to my ear level since they are elevated on my desk.  It makes it feel more natural.  They also don't look half bad.  Makes my 27" monitor look normal now, lol.  

If there's anything in particular anyone wants to know about them, feel free to ask.

Pictures:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back